Hynotheraphy

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
12 replies 1.1K views
Always_HarassedAlways_Harassed Forumite
1.1K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Has anyone tried hypnotheraphy? Was it successful and can you recommend a practitioner in Lanarkshire area?

Replies

• endureendure Forumite
    271 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I can't recommend anyone but I went from 40 fags a day to none after one 55 minute hynotherapy session ion 1993.
  • goldspannersgoldspanners Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    i went to a guy in east kilbride, i stopped smoking for 1 week. then a few years later i decided to try again but reading the paul mckenna book and it worked after getting half way through it. 2 and a half years later im still off them.
    ...work permit granted!
  • scotsbobscotsbob Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    As someone who has trained in hypnotherapy after realising I could hypnotise myself, I can offer you some advice.

I would suggest that self hypnosis is more effective, more beneficial and less stressful on the pocket that going to a hypnotherapist (this is a moneysaving forum)

Just have a look on the Internet. You can learn to do it yourself without any difficulty. Think of daydreaming (trance) then learn to give yourself positive suggestions while in that daydream (trance) Thta's all there is to it.
  • scotsbob wrote: »
    As someone who has trained in hypnotherapy after realising I could hypnotise myself, I can offer you some advice.

I would suggest that self hypnosis is more effective, more beneficial and less stressful on the pocket that going to a hypnotherapist (this is a moneysaving forum)

Just have a look on the Internet. You can learn to do it yourself without any difficulty. Think of daydreaming (trance) then learn to give yourself positive suggestions while in that daydream (trance) Thta's all there is to it.

Sounds interesting, will definitely look at that. Other thing I had thought was to find out who trains people and offer to be a patient for a student.
    4.6K Posts
    Sounds interesting, will definitely look at that. Other thing I had thought was to find out who trains people and offer to be a patient for a student.

Or just buy a tape or dvd. Think about it, if you are lying down with your eyes closed what is the difference to listening to a person beside you and listening to the same person on a tape? None, and you can replay it again and again. :)
  • I tried it for fear of flying (three sessions), also CBT, but still too scared to get on a plane.
  • I have a fear of hypodermic needles and considering hypnotherapy to at least lessen the major panic attack I have when I hear injections being discussed. Just wanted to offer my support for the OP and hope it goes well!
  • alamo_2alamo_2 Forumite
    85 Posts
    My husband went to a guy in East Kilbride (colin Russell) and had it for smoking and worked really well in fact he hasnt smoked for nearly 5 months now and he has recommended people too.
  • endureendure Forumite
    271 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    scotsbob wrote: »

The best way to learn self-hypnosis is to go for a couple of paid sessions with a good hypnotist.
    4.6K Posts
    endure wrote: »
    The best way to learn self-hypnosis is to go for a couple of paid sessions with a good hypnotist.

Depends on the individual, many people have taught themselves, because it is so easy.
    Which way is better is a matter of opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals