Too Many Years No Claims Worry

Hi,

I've got a worry about my car insurance legality. I've had car insurance for about two years (I'm just coming up to renewal). Most of my first year was on a provisional license while I was learning to drive on my own car and this last year was on a full license.

I switched insurance company last year and told the new company I had one year of no claims bonus, as was correct. I told them it was on a provisional license and they were fine with that. I requested a letter stating my no claims bonus from the previous insurer, however when it arrived it stated two years bonus was applicable instead of one. I thought sod it and posted it on to the second company. They then unilaterally awarded me a discount based on the letter, not at my explicit request.

However I've always had this niggling worry about what would happen if I made a claim; insurance companies being infamous for weaseling their way out of paying on any excuse.

I was wondering about trying to correct the mistake next time I switch insurers for peace of mind as I am concerned that my extra years no claims my turn out to be a false ecconomy in the long run if I need to make a claim and then found out they wouldn't pay out.

What do you all think?

Thanks

kesfan

Comments

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Whilst I would normally advocate total honesty with insurance companies, as you otherwise risk them not paying out, no claims discount is a funny beast.

What I mean by that, is that it is a meaningless concept. The fact that you can protect no claims discount is in itself evidence of that.

So, the only proof of how many years' no claims discount a person has, is the renewal notice or letter from their previous insurer.

And if they say you are entitled to 2 years' no claims discount, you are. Irrespective of whether you've only earned one year's.

So I would sit happy, and do nothing about it.

Just MHO as usual.
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Co-op Insurance a few years ago allowed me to transfer my motorcycle no claims to my car once i past my test, which confused later insurance companies, as I had more no-claims than years with a licence. Once explained they were ok with it.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My wife also transferred moped no claims to a car.

Having more years' no claims than a full licence isn't that unusual. There's nothing to stop you owning and insuring a car whilst you have a provisional licence - I did so when I was 17. So there should be no need for big explanations or for them to query it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure