New Post Advanced Search

Parking ticket with wrong date

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
4 replies 2.2K views
Sportbilly_2Sportbilly_2 Forumite
195 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Back in January I received a parking ticket from a (free) retail car park in Hull. I'd arrived 20 minutes before the shops opened and had walked into the centre of Hull to go to the toilet. When I got back the ticket was attached to the car windscreen for leaving the site, but it had the wrong date on- it was dated 5 days later for some reason.

Since then, I heard nothing until the start of May, when I received a notice letter from Akita Security Services telling me to pay up within 14 days or the retail park would commence civil proceedings. Again it had the wrong date on and 3 weeks later (this weekend just gone) I received almost exactly the same letter.

Am I right to keep on ignoring these people, or should I write and tell them I wasn't in the retail park on the date in question? I should be able to provide proof I was at work at the time as we have an electronic swipe system in place and it would show I was on site at the time.

Replies

• bargepolebargepole Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sportbilly wrote: »
    Am I right to keep on ignoring these people, or should I write and tell them I wasn't in the retail park on the date in question? I should be able to provide proof I was at work at the time as we have an electronic swipe system in place and it would show I was on site at the time.
    You don't have to prove anything, they would have to prove you were there if it went to court - just one of the many hurdles that PPCs have to clear, which is why they hardly ever get to court.

Just keep ignoring their rubbish, let them waste their stamps and ink.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 51, lost 13), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Sportbilly_2Sportbilly_2 Forumite
    195 posts
    Thank you. I was just a bit concerned that it might end up with bailiffs and wondered if nipping it in the bud would bring it to a halt. I had read elsewhere that the best policy is to just ignore then, so I'll carry on doing that I think.
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope - contacting them only prolongs matters.

You will probably get threatening letters from so-called baillifs too but check the small print and you will find they are simply another part of the same operation. Either way, don't be taken in by them. The threats are quite empty as they have no powers at all. :)
  • Sportbilly_2Sportbilly_2 Forumite
    195 posts
    Smashing, thanks to both.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support