d.l.a.

dawnsong
dawnsong Posts: 93 Forumite
edited 27 May 2009 at 12:14PM in Disability money matters
hi,
i've got a few questions,

I know if you send for a written application form the benefit is backdated to the time the form was issued, what about if you download a form, is it still backdated?

how long does it generally take between submitting a d.l.a. form and getting a decision from them?

if the decision is a 'yes', how soon is the money paid to you?

if the decision is a 'no', can you claim anything else while appealing?

either way would it affect housing benefit?

I'm a bit unsure as to what's happening with income support and incapacity benefit, I know it has been replaced with e.s.a but

-if you've previously had income support with the disability premium in lieu of incapacity benefit - would you have to apply for e.s.a. now instead?

(I read somewhere that some people are put back on the i.s.+disab premium if they are claiming within a certain period of time from when they last claimed incap/income support. )

thanks,
dawnsong

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you download a form it will be dated from the date you sign & date the form prior to sending it off.

Currently benefit claims are taking approx 12 weeks, but you should receive a letter to let you know the form has been received & asking you to contact them if you haven't heard anything within 11-12 weeks.

If you are successful the money will be paid to you asap. If other benefits are paid to you, such as IB, it will tie in with those payments in all probability.

If your dla claim is not successful then there is no supplement benefit you can claim whilst appealing. If after an appeal your claim is successful it will be backdated to the date on the original claim form.

Not too sure about your other questions re esa & income support, so will leave those to somebody with more knowledge.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • dawnsong
    thanks for that info cattie - much appreciated,
  • Just to add that DLA is now paid seperately to other benefits and paid monthly,those who currently paid dla with other benefits will find this is changing or has changed,usually at review
  • dawnsong
    thank you woodbine. - appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills