P60 form

Options
Just a question concerning my P60 form for the tax years that's just ended.

I need details of my employment from 5th April 08 to 30th June 08, after this time I set as self employed and have been ever since.

I've contacted my old employer and they say it's not up to them to give me a P60. Is this correct? If so where can I get one from. I do my own tax return so do not have an accountant.

Cheers

Comments

• bumpybecky
    bumpybecky Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    did they give you a p45 when you left? I don't think you don't get a p60 if you've had a p45
  • shell7
    shell7 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 27 May 2009 at 12:00PM
    Options
    Yes I have a P45, but need a P60 for details of student loan amounts. My P45 just states how many payments were made. The Student Loans Company can't give me the details and said I would have wait for my P60. Which I can't get.

I'm sure I can get hold of the details I need by contacting my old employer, but I just wanted to know if they should supply me with a P60.

Thank you for your help.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, they shouldn't.
    Only employees who are employed by the employer at April 09 get P60.
  • kateab
    kateab Posts: 2,824 Forumite
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    No, they shouldn't.
    Only employees who are employed by the employer at April 09 get P60.

That's what I was told. I TUPE transferred in January and my P60 only shows my earnings from Jan to March (well start of April, but April salary is not paid until later in the month!). I have to use my P45 from my former employers as proof of my earnings.

kateab
    Definitely NOT the blogger at Katie and the Kids, OK?
  • leachyd
    leachyd Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    do you have old payslips? that would mention student loan contributions?
  • Any
    Options
    kateab wrote: »
    That's what I was told. I TUPE transferred in January and my P60 only shows my earnings from Jan to March (well start of April, but April salary is not paid until later in the month!). I have to use my P45 from my former employers as proof of my earnings.

kateab

It doesn't matter when they are paid in April. It matters what dates they were paid for. Tax year runs from 6th April xx to 5th April xx and these are the dates the P60s are to be issued for...

If the transfer was TUPE transfer - the information about up to date earning should be available to your new employer (I am not sure about how it works with TUPEs, normally it would be P45 which you then give to your new employer) and that information input in the system and that P60 would then show all of the info for the year...
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    It doesn't matter when they are paid in April. It matters what dates they were paid for. Tax year runs from 6th April xx to 5th April xx and these are the dates the P60s are to be issued for.

Sorry, what do you mean about the date in April when you are paid not being important?

For instance, if you were weekly paid and received pay on Friday 10 April this year that would be in this tax year even if it were for work done in the previous tax year. Tax would be deducted with the new tax code.

That money, earned in respect of week ending 3 April, would not be in the P60 for 2008/09.
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    You could try contacting the Tax Office that your last employer dealt with.
  • Any
    edited 29 May 2009 at 11:19AM
    Options
    Sorry, what do you mean about the date in April when you are paid not being important?

For instance, if you were weekly paid and received pay on Friday 10 April this year that would be in this tax year even if it were for work done in the previous tax year. Tax would be deducted with the new tax code.

That money, earned in respect of week ending 3 April, would not be in the P60 for 2008/09.

I believe that depends on the employer's systems. Whether they are paid weekly or not - they can be paid for week 52 in week 1.

The issue is - where the previous months are?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure