Help with holiday entitlement pro rata please!!

Options
Hiya.

I have worked for a company for nearly 2 years now and I don't think they've worked out my 2009 holiday entitlement correct.
My contracted hours are Saturday 8.00 - 13.00 and Sunday 10.30 - 16.30, so a total of 11 hours per week.
They are saying my holiday entitlement this year is 6.5 days. My entitlement was 11 days in 2008, but apparently, this was worked out wrong.

I've just been sent details of how they have worked it out - "The way I would do it is to pro rata the 22 days. So, for example, if the employee works 11 hours a week, this is 29.4% of a full time equivalent, based on 37.5 hours a week. The part time employee would then be entitled to 29.4% of the 22 days holiday, which is 6.5 days"

I could be wrong but I think the 6.5 days has been worked out on full-time days, so as I only do 5 and 6 hour days, should it be more.
Can anyone confirm that the 6.5 days is correct? Or even better, work out how many hours holiday I'm entitled to?

I'd be very greatful for any help in clearing up this matter!

Comments

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It sounds about right to me. You got 11 days last year, which is half of what a full time worker would get, yet you work less than a third of the hours of someone on full time.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems right to me too.
  • bumpybecky
    bumpybecky Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    well I think it's wrong...

statutory holiday entitlement increased from 1st April 2009 and you're now entitled to 5.6 weeks per year paid holiday (your contract may give more than this)

as you work 11 hours per week, I think you're entitled to 11 x 5.6 hours paid holiday per year, that's 61.6 hours which is 12 (and a bit) 5 hours days or 10 (and a bit) 6 hour days or a mix of the two

anyway both of those amounts are more than the 6.5 days quoted

I'm not sure where the 22 days comes from, suspect it's something to do with bank holidays?

I'm not an expert by any means, but have been looking at this for my dd's preschool staff (I do payroll) and they work part time term time only. Holiday calcualtions are complicated!

I've used the page below as a guide...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10034642
  • Crunchiemunch
    Options
    Thanks for your answers - I have asked them to work out my hols entitlement in hours.
    I agree bumpybecky - very complicated!!
  • ab7167
    ab7167 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say I agree with bumpybecky

Legal minimum is 28 paid days, so a full time worker would be entitled to 28*7.5 = 210 hours holiday per year.

You work 11 hours per work, not 37.5, so you are entitled to 210*(11/37.5) hours holiday - which is 61.6 hours.

Part time holiday can look really complicated, but it is actually quite simple if you do it in terms of hours.

A

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • Roobarb73
    Roobarb73 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I am a bit baby brained to work it out at the moment but I agree on the face of it it doesn't look right. 6.5 days is only 3 and a bit weeks. I agree with those who have said where you work part time and especially on shortened days like you do a better way to work it out is in terms of hours.
  • Any
    Options
    I am supposing that the 22 days is the company's holiday entitlement and then the employee also gets bank holidays on the top? They don't come into it?
  • Any
    Options
    Also in terms of hours - what is the company's hours - in my old job we used to do 40hrs basic week.
  • Any
    Options
    If it is like when we calculate holiday entitlement for when someone starts part time during the year:
    company's holiday - 22 days
    22/12=1.83 days holiday per worked month.

Then I would:
    Hours worked in a year to deserve full holidays:
    37.5hrs x 52 weeks = 1950
    22days x 7.5hrs = 165 hrs of holiday a year
    1950/165 = 11.81

so for every 11.81 worked hours you earned 1 hrs of holidays...

then
    OP works
    11hrs x 52wks = 572 hrs a year
    572/11.81 = 48.43 hrs a year holiday entitlement...
  • kateab
    kateab Posts: 2,824 Forumite
    Options
    With part time, it's always best to work in hours, not days. And as the minimum is now 28 days which usually includes bank holidays, you have to include that in the calculation, even if the employee does not work on days that are normally holidays. I got a proportion of the bank holidays related to the proportion of hours that I worked. It meant that I had to book any bank holidays that fell on my work days (tho my boss at one stage thought I had to do it for any bank holiday - and I didn't work Mondays which are at least half of the days!)

kateab
    Definitely NOT the blogger at Katie and the Kids, OK?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure