laser eye surgery in cardiff?

Options
confusedmix
confusedmix Posts: 106 Forumite
Hello,

I was thinking about having laser eye surgery done and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any clinics or company's that do the procedure? I have heard about Ultralase, optimax, optical express and the MDA clinic, but which one is best?

I am looking to the cardiff area and know that there are clinics there, but was wondering whether anyone had any experience with these companies?

Many thanks for any replies

Comments

• needaholiday
    needaholiday Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2009 at 10:08PM
    Options
    I had mine done in Ultralase on May 15th. They were absolutely brilliant. They seem to be more expensive than some of the other clinics though. The only reason I picked them was that they fitted me in at short notice as it was a spur of the moment decision. One big difference worth considering is that they offer lifetime aftercare which some of the others don't. I booked through Quidco and will hopefully receive £65 cashback. I also received 10% discount through my union and £50 as I was recommended by a friend. It still cost me around £3500 which I found more painful than the actual tratment. I am paying over 18 months interest free which is another good reason for choosing Ultralase!
  • confusedmix
    confusedmix Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Thx needaholiday, thats really good. I have also heard that optical express do a lifetime guarantee and they are much cheaper so i'm confused as to which to go for. Although I have heard really good reviews for ultralase too.

May I ask, how are your eyes now? and what procedure did u go for?

Many thanks once again.
  • needaholiday
    needaholiday Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I went for the most expensive i.e. Ultra Lasik Wavefont Intralase. The main reason being that recovery is quicker. The procedure was a bit scary and a little bit uncomfortable but not painful. My eyes streamed that night (a bit like chopping onions but not as stingy). I've had no problems since just a little tiredness from time to time. My distance vision is brilliant. My only complaint (and I was warned beforehand) is that as I am 48 years old I now need reading glasses. At the moment it's getting on my nerves taking them on and off constantly especially in work but hopefully it's something I'll get used to and I'm told things may improve.
    Don't be fooled by Optical express TV prices as when I contacted them for the same procedure I had it would have cost £3000 therefore only a saving of £500. I thoroughly recommend Ultralase. The clinic has a much nicer feel to it than Optical Express on the High Street. On the day I was having my op I received an e mail from Optimax offering half price treatment for same procedure I'd had done. Offer only on for this month. Not sure whether it's transferable but PM me if you want the code. Good luck with whichever you choose. I thoroughly recommend it especially if you are younger than me! Anything else you want to ask feel free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure