Should I change from Telecom Plus?

Options
*zippy*
*zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi All

I've gradually have been working through Martins Book, but have been putting off sorting out the phone as it looks complicated, anyway just had my bill and its the highest it has ever been so its time to get sorted.

I'm with utility warehouse (telecom plus) for bills and have a BT line. My parents are also with UW who I call the most so I am able to call them free, (they are local, call once a day) I also have a freephone number through them for my business I have stopped using this in all advertising, but I do occassionally get a call from a customer using it, only 1 this month cost of rental £2 month. Calls mostly day, then evening and mobile, rarely abroad, not alot on weekends. This one months bill just the calls £15

Have started to read a bit on here, and have just printed off heinz's great cost reductions plans, should I keep UW and then use 18185 etc to divert calls to those other than my parents, this would then keep freephone number. Is this even possible? or would it be better to follow the whole plan and cancel UW and go with Primus who would be very cheap anyway?

Sorry if this is a dull question :o
Thanks
Zippy

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    So you propose staying with UW and paying their 'Club Membership fee' just so you can phone your parents once a day for 'nothing' and so you can possibly receive one call from a possible customer each month?

I can't comment on the 0800 number, that's a decision only you can make but, IMHO, paying UW £2 to possibly receive one call from a possible customer does seem a little silly.

With regard to the single daily call to your parents, isn't the UW monthly fee more than the 30 x 3p the calls would cost on 1899 (at any time, on any day BTW)? Of course, some or all of those calls would cost nothing if they were between 6pm and 8am Monday to Friday or at the weekend and you were on Primus Saver Option 2 CPS.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    On top of the cost of calls and the freephone service you would be paying £1.50p plus vat a month membership.

Assuming you only have these two services with them.

I would recommend that you use either 1899/18185 for your peak calls,and use Primus Saver 2 for your free e@w calls,and get rid of your 0800 number if your not using it.

You would make savings of over £40 a year before you even took the cheaper calls into account.
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thankyou both for the quick replies

To clarify did have electric and gas with them, changed gas today, but can't get a better deal for electric according to comparison sites so that will stay with them for the time being. So will be paying membership anyway.

The Freephone number was a mistake (new business) and I haven't advertised with it for a few months, but it was on leaflets and thousands were posted out, this is the first month only had one call so happy now to cancel it.

Heinz will stop being silly :D and follow your plan :D thankyou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport