two year right for refund - EC law

zaax
zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I would post a link but the board won't let me

Looks like the UK law is behind the rest of Europe
Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring

Comments

• sporedude
    sporedude Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Try post the link but use x's instead of w's
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think you have to have more than 10 posts on here before you can post links
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • markybaby
    markybaby Posts: 72 Forumite
    Isn't this related to the fact that up to 6 years after purchasing you may have the right for some recompense against a retailer depending on the goods and their value. Not a definate right to refund. In England we have had the 6 year law for a long time, it does not mean you can march into a shop 5 years after buying a toaster for £15 and demand a refund if it has blown up. This legislation is just the rest of Europe making 2 years the minimum, but that is still 4 years behind us. Germany and I believe Spain do expect a minimum 24 month manufacturers guarantee but that is a different thing to this, otherwise the UK would be breaking an EU law started in 2002 by allowing manufacturers to sell goods with only a 12 month warranty. Also worth noting that goods in Germany and Spain are considerably more expensive than in our country to absorb the additional cost to manufacturers. That's my understanding of this law, unless anyone else can give me any more details....
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    You've pretty much summed it up there markybaby.

As the Sale of Goods Act affords protection for UK consumers for up to 6 years (stipulated by the Limitations Act) then the EU legislation is in effect playing catch up. As we already have a significantly higher period, this EU directive hasn't been publicised so much here, simply because it doesn't have any real effect to the man in the street.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    zaax wrote: »
    I would post a link but the board won't let me

Looks like the UK law is behind the rest of Europe

Link to the directive.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    I cannot see how the UK is not in compliance with this directive.

I remember that when it came out 10 years ago, the view in the UK was that we were in compliance as the Sale of Goods Act does not prescribe a time for the application of the implied warranties (sections 12, 13 and 14).

If I recall correctly, the only change was the presumption of fault of the product at time of contract if the fault manifests within the first 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure