Barclaycard Overdue Scam

Options
I have been receiving text messages from caller identity 00 saying
'Your Barclaycard is overdue, if you do not take action, your credit rating could be at risk. You need to call Barclaycard now on 0844 5560057'

A similar message gives the number to call as '0844 5560058' and '0844 2412570', and tells me I cannot use my Barclaycard until I call this number. Strange eh! I used my card after receiving these messages with no problem.

There is also a recorded message coming to my land line from 0845 4019111 which asks me to 'press any number to continue'.

I believe this is 'phone phishing'.

Anyone else had these messages?

BTW, I have not called the numbers, doubtless it will be a premium rate number, and there will be an attempt to get details of my credit card.

Needless to say, the give-away here is the fact that my Barclaycard is not overdue.

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • don1too
    don1too Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Paul, I did Google the number and found that website.

Does anyone know if Barclaycard, BT, Fraud Squad or Offcom are doing anything to bring these scammers to book?

While I and others may have twigged the scam, some might fall for it, to their cost.
  • sharonco
    Options
    My daughter has had this happen to her today in fact. Thanks to this website we realised it was a scam. She is only 18 and could easily have rung the number I guess!

So thanks all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport