littlewoods not listening to me where do i stand??faulty bed

Hi guys i recently bought a bed from littlewoods
this is the bed
http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/p.do/new-york-bedstead?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&SNtt=metropole+bedstead&groupId=562406291&Nu=this_product&SNtk=littlewoods_search&Np=1&SN=103+85&Ntt=562406291&D=562406291&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&thisprod=540796538&N=103+85&Nty=1&Mis_item_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=540796538
Basically i received it on 19th march 2009 and now the arm that lifts it up has snapped in half, i have contacted littlewoods on this matter an they referred it elsewhere, i went away over he weekend, checked my emails and they have ordered me a new arm but making me pay £138 for it :rolleyes: i dont think so somehow plus the arm has ripped the leather.
Where do i stand with this i have really had enough of them and how dare they order something in my name when i have not given them the authority to do so.
The reviews on this bed shows that the majority of people have had the same major problem.
Any help would be great, should i contact trading standards because surely this is a fault with the bed as a whole.
I also bought 2 bed side cabinets to go with it do they have to take these back if they accept that they have to take the bed, basically they should shouldnt they as these side cabinets only assix to this bed.
Please guys some help as at te moment me an my husband are sleeping on the floor.
Thanks
joanne
OCTOBER/NOVEMBER WINS- HOLIDAY TO DUBAI/IPAD 2/KINDLE AND LOTS OF OTHER OTHER LITTLE BITS I LOVE COMPING!!!

Comments

• scullster
    scullster Posts: 324 Forumite
    The bed is faulty (I'm assuming the fault came about normal usage!) and therefore its your statutory right to demand a refund, replacement or repair in accordance with the Sales of Goods Act. Its a no brainer after 2 months use.

I'd ask them why they think they are above the law, and what reasons they have to believe the bed is not faulty, the burden of proof is with them not you.

Did you purchase on credit / credit card - if so, the credit firm are equally liable.

I've just tried to read the reviews but whilst 8 reviews have been given, the reviews page is blank - I was going to PDF the webpage for you as supporting evidence.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How did the arm come to snap in half?
  • 6889joannew
    6889joannew Posts: 527 Forumite
    edited 25 May 2009 at 11:59AM
    Lovely looking bed
    By maria badge_vr_en_GB.giffrom cheshire on 15/5/2009
    Pros:
    Attractive, Comfortable

Best Uses:
    Adults, Master Bedroom, Teenager

Describe Yourself:
    Midrange Shopper

Bottom Line:
    Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Comments about Metropole "New York" bedstead:
    I'm very pleased with my new bed, It looks lovely in my bedroom. Great storage but bottom board should be more stronger. Took 2 people just over 1 1/2 hours to assemble. Had bed for about 3 months, with no problems.

lovely looking bed

By maria badge_vp_en_GB.giffrom cheshire on 10/5/2009
    Pros:
    Attractive, Comfortable

Best Uses:
    Adults, Master Bedroom, Teenager

Describe Yourself:
    Midrange Shopper

Bottom Line:

I very pleased with my bed, It looks lovely in my bedroom. Great storage but bottom board should be more stronger. Took 2 people just over 1 1/2 hours to assemble. Had bed for about 3 months, with no problems.

dont buy this bed

By skysha badge_vr_en_GB.giffrom aberdeen, scotland on 10/5/2009
    Pros:
    Attractive

Cons:
    Creaks, Difficult To Assemble

Describe Yourself:
    Midrange Shopper

Bottom Line:
    No, I would not recommend this to a friend

first of all i thought this bed was great since i live in a flat and dont have much storage space took myself and my partner over three hours to build once finished it looks great but, the slightest move and it creaks when your partner moves you feel like your on a bouncy castle also the luxury mattaress is not worth the money not unless you want things sticking into you and now one of the sides that lift the bed up has bent and ripped the side panel due to having to open it up. my advice dont buy this bed its not worth the money

Decent bed with the correct mattress

By Max badge_vp_en_GB.giffrom London on 5/5/2009
    Pros:
    Attractive, Comfortable

Cons:
    Difficult To Assemble

Best Uses:
    Adults, Guests

Describe Yourself:
    High-End Shopper

Bottom Line:

I am happy with my bed, although it was hard to put together, great for storage. Needs a much stronger base so can't put to much under there for storage.

Do Not Buy!!!

By Rach badge_vp_en_GB.giffrom Torfaen, South Wales on 24/4/2009
    Cons:
    Breaks, Creaks, Difficult To Assemble, Shifts

Describe Yourself:
    Midrange Shopper

Bottom Line:

Would not buy this unless you want a bed that will break!Broke after 3mths. Hydraulic lift broke and actual frame broke away from side of bed.Paid extra for luxury matress which was rubbish and definately not worth it.Wish the other reviews had been on here when I bought mine as would not of bothered!!!

Not such a good Apple (NewYork bedstead)

By shazollie badge_vr_en_GB.giffrom London on 11/3/2009
    Pros:
    Attractive

Cons:
    Flimsy

Best Uses:
    Guests

Describe Yourself:
    Budget Shopper

Bottom Line:

This is used in a master bedroom, I have had it for about a month. It looks great and is quite comfy, it has great storage BUT it is not as strong as I first thought. Not recommended for oversize people like myself, a metal bar on the inside has fallen off and a bar is bending on the gas lift.

Nice

By Davetherave badge_vr_en_GB.giffrom Glasgow on 25/2/2009
    Pros:
    Attractive

Cons:
    Difficult To Assemble

Describe Yourself:
    Midrange Shopper

Bottom Line:

I have to say i have had this bed a month now and still no problems ,im with the 1st review that it is tricky to assemble even with 2 people ,took me a good couple of hours and after a few f words we got there in the end ,the storage is great if you have a small flat like mine so has gave me more room in my cudboards which isnt a bad thing ,all round its a great bed

NOT WORTH THE MONEY

By KAT from S!!!!HORPE on 27/1/2009
    Pros:
    Attractive

Cons:
    Difficult To Assemble

Best Uses:
    Master Bedroom

Describe Yourself:
    Midrange Shopper

Bottom Line:

took quiet a while to set up 'roughly 2 hours' after we set it up and thrown the boxes away we found out that one side was a little higher than the other side and my partner felt like it was pushing him into the middle, for a bed that cost us nearly[$]'without the mattress' is not really worth that. However, i must state that this bed has very good storage, looks nice and unlike some beds who they state its a double but when you get it its not, this one is. This bed will show dust, so unless you are going to spend every day cleaning the headboard i wouldn't buy a black leather look alike bed

I hve not put my review on yet!
    OCTOBER/NOVEMBER WINS- HOLIDAY TO DUBAI/IPAD 2/KINDLE AND LOTS OF OTHER OTHER LITTLE BITS I LOVE COMPING!!!
  • 6889joannew
    scullster wrote: »
    The bed is faulty (I'm assuming the fault came about normal usage!)
    Yes normal usage the beds only been put together for about 6 weeks
    and therefore its your statutory right to demand a refund, replacement or repair in accordance with the Sales of Goods Act. Its a no brainer after 2 months use.
    This is what i thought

I'd ask them why they think they are above the law, and what reasons they have to believe the bed is not faulty, the burden of proof is with them not you.
    I know that, they just dont want to listen

Did you purchase on credit / credit card - if so, the credit firm are equally liable.
    Im on credit i pay monthly.

I've just tried to read the reviews but whilst 8 reviews have been given, the reviews page is blank - I was going to PDF the webpage for you as supporting evidence.
    Thanks for that i just copied them all and i copied and pasted them to here you can see their are good and bad reviews but a few have had the same problem.
    Thanks for your help
  • 6889joannew
    hollydays wrote: »
    How did the arm come to snap in half?

I havent got a clue the arm cant be strong enough i dont know but the problem is its snapped in half and its now causing the leather and the side of the bed to rip/tear and break.
  • hollydays
    But I mean,things don't just snap off spontaneously ,do they?
  • 6889joannew
    But I mean,things don't just snap off spontaneously ,do they?

Maybe not, but this has buy one and youll see
    Im not overweight im 11 stone so that cant be the problem
    So i cant see what else it can be neither is my husband overweight
  • anonymousie
    anonymousie Posts: 995 Forumite
    Contact consumer direct (number on the website). THey will advise you how to complain using the right terminology and the template letters on there are great.
  • hollydays
    So if they asked the question "How did the arm break??
    What would your reply be?
  • 6889joannew
    So if they asked the question "How did the arm break??
    What would your reply be?
    Id just say its broke and i want it sorted things do just break if they are not made good so guess this is just a fault with the item, if you read the other reviews from people the same thing has happened to one or two of them it doesnt matter anyway the bed is broken and i wanted peoples opinions of what i should do next
    Thanks for everyone elses replys much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure