PPI Reclaim Help

Options
Hi

Have been considering reclaiming ppi from the infamous first plus for a few months now. The problems being is I dont have any of the original agreements so have no idea of my account number as the loan was paid off with a re-mortgage and I foolishly destroyed the paperwork. I can get copies from our solicitor but they want £5 for the priviledge. If I call First Plus will they give me the details over the phone? Just a little wary as we still have another secured loan with them and will probably go for a claim on this one too.

Any feedback would be great thanks

Comments

• marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2009 at 5:58PM
    Options
    a-and-k wrote: »
    Hi

Have been considering reclaiming ppi from the infamous first plus for a few months now. The problems being is I dont have any of the original agreements so have no idea of my account number as the loan was paid off with a re-mortgage and I foolishly destroyed the paperwork. I can get copies from our solicitor but they want £5 for the priviledge. If I call First Plus will they give me the details over the phone? Just a little wary as we still have another secured loan with them and will probably go for a claim on this one too.

Any feedback would be great thanks
    Hi, I did this with Firstplus too for our copy agreement and just told them the rough date of my loan and our names and address etc and they sent a copy out for nothing. You can (if you do not trust them to do this) request one for £1 in the form of a letter and they have 12 days to do this (always send it recorded delivery so you have proofs). As regards the rest of the paperwork you can request a subject access request which is all the info for £10 but takes up to 40 days to come through.

When was the first loan taken out? Also was the second loan a top up of the first one?

There is a SAR (subject access request) template on here on the Reclaim PPI and other Insurance in the stickys.
  • a-and-k
    a-and-k Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    marshallka wrote: »
    Hi, I did this with Firstplus too for our copy agreement and just told them the rough date of my loan and our names and address etc and they sent a copy out for nothing. You can (if you do not trust them to do this) request one for £1 in the form of a letter and they have 12 days to do this (always send it recorded delivery so you have proofs). As regards the rest of the paperwork you can request a subject access request which is all the info for £10 but takes up to 40 days to come through.

When was the first loan taken out? Also was the second loan a top up of the first one?

There is a SAR (subject access request) template on here on the Reclaim PPI and other Insurance in the stickys.

Thanks for the info.

The first loan was taken out around 2005 we repayed this a year later with a re-mortgage which put us in a worse situation at the end of the day, so we ended up taking out a new loan with them a year later. So two seperate loans both with ppi one paid off and the other still running. Would be nice to get something back as the exit fees we paid on the first loan were awful, 40k loan and paid back 48k but we were just so desperate to get things straight and really its got us nowhere.

Wasn't until I found this place that I found out the ppi was only for 5 years cover and that both me and my partner have a pre exsisting medical condition which we were never asked to declare. So really at the end of the day the policy is probably worthless and the main reason for taking them out was that we thought we would be covered for the term of the loan. It was the way they made it sound that you would get your money back after 5 years if you dont claim, we just had no idea till we dug the paperwork out that this was the term of the insurance too.
  • russt2000
    russt2000 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Hi A K get yourselves over to firstpluscomplaints, its a site just for those of us who have been stitched up by FP.

All the info and up to date advice there , about 400 of us so far and still counting . Lots of us have come from this great site , and not saying you will not get it here , but there are so many now nearly all circumstances have been covered so advice is good.
    hope to see you there.
  • marshallka
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

The first loan was taken out around 2005 we repayed this a year later with a re-mortgage which put us in a worse situation at the end of the day, so we ended up taking out a new loan with them a year later. So two seperate loans both with ppi one paid off and the other still running. Would be nice to get something back as the exit fees we paid on the first loan were awful, 40k loan and paid back 48k but we were just so desperate to get things straight and really its got us nowhere.

Wasn't until I found this place that I found out the ppi was only for 5 years cover and that both me and my partner have a pre exsisting medical condition which we were never asked to declare. So really at the end of the day the policy is probably worthless and the main reason for taking them out was that we thought we would be covered for the term of the loan. It was the way they made it sound that you would get your money back after 5 years if you dont claim, we just had no idea till we dug the paperwork out that this was the term of the insurance too.
    I doubt this would be the exit fees that caused your first loan to have a large settlement. I bet it was the PPI and interest.

These policies only cover you for 5 years of the loan and also they have interest on them that is payable over the whole term. They are very expensive and you are not offered alternatives and also they are often worthless too. Was it Firstplus that actually sold both the PPI's or did you go through a broker for any of them?
  • a-and-k
    Options
    marshallka wrote: »
    I doubt this would be the exit fees that caused your first loan to have a large settlement. I bet it was the PPI and interest.

These policies only cover you for 5 years of the loan and also they have interest on them that is payable over the whole term. They are very expensive and you are not offered alternatives and also they are often worthless too. Was it Firstplus that actually sold both the PPI's or did you go through a broker for any of them?

Both loans and policies were dealt with directly over the phone with First Plus, so by reading some of the post on here I'm guessing it makes it a little easier to claim?

Has anyone used an outside party to help with their claim. I've been looking at a few companies who will help on a no win no fee basis.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Both loans and policies were dealt with directly over the phone with First Plus, so by reading some of the post on here I'm guessing it makes it a little easier to claim?

Has anyone used an outside party to help with their claim. I've been looking at a few companies who will help on a no win no fee basis.

Hi there

Have you tried requesting for the copy of the telephone recordings, a friend of mine who was sold a loan direct by FP were sent her's free of charge, very interesting as well.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • marshallka
    edited 25 May 2009 at 8:19PM
    Options

You really should not need a reclaim company as both these loans can go to the FOS if they do not uphold the complaints. You could perhaps do with requesting a SAR (subject access request - template in the stickies on here) and this may have the copies of the telephone conversations that took place for your sales and may contain your proof of misselling.

When I requested my SAR from them they actually blocked out the phone calls but they then sent in the SAR transcripts of them which were just as good.

In the meantime of waiting for the SAR though (if you go this way) I would get your complaint in with them.
  • a-and-k
    Options
    Hi all

Just wanted to say thank you for your helpful advise/ Just printed off my SAR which will be posted tomorrow. Just about to sort the complaint letter out now.

Should I do a letter for each loan or will one letter cover it. Also after talking to them on the phone to get my account details I'd forgotton we'd taken out an orginal loan without ppi but then added to it. Is it worth mentioning this first loan as there was no ppi involved but it was settled when we upped the amount.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Just wanted to say thank you for your helpful advise/ Just printed off my SAR which will be posted tomorrow. Just about to sort the complaint letter out now.

Should I do a letter for each loan or will one letter cover it. Also after talking to them on the phone to get my account details I'd forgotton we'd taken out an orginal loan without ppi but then added to it. Is it worth mentioning this first loan as there was no ppi involved but it was settled when we upped the amount.

Hi there

Hi there, write on the loans that had ppi, so if all loans had ppi, there is no harm in keeping it to one letter, remember though if more than one loan is to write all account numbers, so they know which one to refer to when investigating, good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • a-and-k
    Options
    Hi all

Bit of an update!!!

Well sent off my SAR and got the paperwork through this morning and I'm disappointed to report that there is no info regarding the PPI, no copies of conversations, policy documents, anything :confused:

All I can find are figures for the PPI on each loan. They have sent all the computerised diary entries and if you make any sense of their shorthand you're a genius.

I did however note that at some stage they had tried to contact me and spoke to social services :confused::rotfl:

Also on one of the loans it has my partner as co-habiting and me as being married even though my title is Miss :rolleyes:

So looks like I'll have to go ahead and make the claims without having all the correct info for backup, Fist Plus here I come :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure