Can I get any benifits?

Options
Hi
I am doing a three year degree (full time with the open uni). I worked full time during the first 2 years but it became too much so I have taken this year out to complete my degree. I live alone and am fast using up my savings. After a 5 month battle I have managed to get a counsil tax exemption. Are there any other benifits that I can claim? I currently have £0 income but as i am studying so cant work full time I cant register for unemployment - the knock on is that i am still having to pay full cost for perscriptions etc. Any advise would be much appreciated. Also for when I finish my course does any one know the minimum number of hours you have to be available for work to claim unemployement ( I have to get work exp after my degree as I am trying to get into teaching.

I have tried citizens advice but they were unable to answer any of my questons x

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    You'd probably be better off posting on the Benefits & Tax Credits board
  • ray123
    ray123 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    1)Ask your uni if there are any bursaries/grants available - a loan which you will not need to re-pay.
    2)Speak to your local council - might be able to have part/all of your fees paid or receive a bursaries/grants.

When at uni a few years ago, i received 2k grant from the uni over 3 years.
  • brinkleydaizy
    Options
    Ray123 - thanks for the responce. I managed to get some funding via open uni (from the student loans co) but cause ou is considered part time even though i study full time I only managed about 800 from them over the whole course (lost out in part as worked full time for the first 2 years). Tried the council and they dont recognise OU. : (
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whats wrong with a partime job at weekends?

But I believe there isn't anything you are entitled to because it is a partime course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure