Council Garden Waste

Hi

For a number of years my Council has run a garden collection service where you bought biodegradable bags from them, put them out and they collected them. Because of the hassle involved in getting to the council offices during work hours to get them I buy them in bulk.

So last bank holiday did the first big clear and filled up 8 of them and put them outside my house. I work away from home and got back to find them still there but the bags are starting to degrade. Rang the council and they stopped the service earlier this year. They did offer an alternate wheelie bin scheme (also chargeable) but have now run out and not sure if they'll get any more.

So after lots of conversations they have offered a refund on the unused ones I have but the ones that are now rotting and smelly are apparently my responsibility to get rid of (and "obviously they can't give me a refund on those")

So can anyone tell if I have any options? Surely they sold a service and are now refusing to fulfil their side? It would appear my only option is to take them to the tip which will take a few hours for all the trips and a decent clean of my car afterwards. If I'd known that from the start I wouldn't have put them in the £1.50 each bags! I already have a full composter and really don't need (or want to buy) another one.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    pieman_71 wrote: »
    Hi

For a number of years my Council has run a garden collection service where you bought biodegradable bags from them, put them out and they collected them. Because of the hassle involved in getting to the council offices during work hours to get them I buy them in bulk.

So last bank holiday did the first big clear and filled up 8 of them and put them outside my house. I work away from home and got back to find them still there but the bags are starting to degrade. Rang the council and they stopped the service earlier this year. They did offer an alternate wheelie bin scheme (also chargeable) but have now run out and not sure if they'll get any more.

So after lots of conversations they have offered a refund on the unused ones I have but the ones that are now rotting and smelly are apparently my responsibility to get rid of (and "obviously they can't give me a refund on those")

So can anyone tell if I have any options? Surely they sold a service and are now refusing to fulfil their side? It would appear my only option is to take them to the tip which will take a few hours for all the trips and a decent clean of my car afterwards. If I'd known that from the start I wouldn't have put them in the £1.50 each bags! I already have a full composter and really don't need (or want to buy) another one.

Thanks in advance for your help

why not use the compost in your own garden once degraded?

eco friendly
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • pieman_71
    pieman_71 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, but no thanks!
    I already have a full composter and really don't need (or want to buy) another one.

Point is those 8 bags cost me £12 which out of principle I think must be miss-selling if they're now refusing to pick them up or give me a refund.
  • 4743hudsonj
    Thanks, but no thanks!

Point is those 8 bags cost me £12 which out of principle I think must be miss-selling if they're now refusing to pick them up or give me a refund.

sorry didnt see that

hmmm well we need to determine whether the bags were indeed sold as a service or goods.

was the collection service charged separate or was it inbuilt into the price of the bags?
  • pieman_71
    pieman_71 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

No prob.

Was in-built to the price of the bag. They're basically about the size of a "white" bin liner (as opposed to a large black bag if you know what I mean) branded with the council details. The only purpose of buying them from the (council office) is for them to pick it up.

cheers
  • 4743hudsonj
    Hi

No prob.

Was in-built to the price of the bag. They're basically about the size of a "white" bin liner (as opposed to a large black bag if you know what I mean) branded with the council details. The only purpose of buying them from the (council office) is for them to pick it up.

cheers

hmm i know what you mean but my feeling is that their is nothing you can do if the collection service is no longer done, b ut to be honest im not sure if this applys as goods or services or maybe both so someone far more experienced will need to help you, try looking dow Art, Tozer and Pholgeston(i think thats how its spelt) these 3 between them know everything about consumer rights. you will find them in most boards so look around and message them with a link to this thread,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport