Tax credits and full time student

Hi there

I am hoping to go to Uni in September to either do a one year Access or Foundation Programme year which will allow me to do a degree afterwards.

If I do the Access programme I will get no financial help as I am married (we have two children ) and my husband works.

If I do the Foundation year I am eligible for student loans and grants, but if I take the grants are these classed as income for tax credit purposes or are student grants and loans not counted as income as they are unearned and untaxable as far as I know.

If I am going to lose most of my tax credit because I take these then I may as well do the other option !

Many thanks

K x

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Your best bet is to fill in the Student Finance Calculator found HERE
    to see what you are entitled to. There's also information on what benefits you can claim on the same site and you can go HERE to get information on childcare grants, parent learning allowance and child tax credit eligibility
  • Krasnoludek
    Krasnoludek Posts: 313 Forumite
    Thanks for the hint, I had a go and it was useful I also rang the student finance helpline who were really good. If only the jobcentre were half as helpful as the person who I spoke to today :(

K x
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    also the student support people at the uni you intend to go to can be quite helpful if you give them a ring. Ours is very good.
  • Krasnoludek
    Krasnoludek Posts: 313 Forumite
    I have found them to be lovely but always really busy :( I am getting there slowly though, they did say to me one step at a time but when you have a family its just a lot more complicated especially when money is tight already. I will get there in the end

K x
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't think grants etc are part of taxed income, worth calling the tax office or looking at their websie for details or leaflets or visit citizens advice they are excellent and will go through it all with yu but expect a long wait unles you get there when it opens!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure