I found £40 worth of coins under my bed!

Options
It's not really money saving and this might not be the right forum to put this on but I wanted to get this out somewhere on this site because it inspired me to go looking!

After spending hours on this site reading through the guides I decided I needed to do something to sort out my future financial woes (I'll be in uni in a few months). Then I realised the old bottle I'd been collecting 1ps and 2ps in for years was finally full so I rushed to get it, count it and bag it all up. It took me ages and got me... £8! Well that was pretty disapointing!

Anyway I cashed that in to the bank the next day and not put off by the fact that it had taken me so long to count up I went on the hunt for more coins around the house. After finding the odd bronze coin in a few little boxes I looked in a large plastic box under my bed which had a load of my childhood toys in, and to my shock and excitment I found a really old Sainsbury's bag FULL of coins. And it wasn't just pennies and 2ps, it was 10s, 20s, 50s and even a good few pound coins. I think I was sitting there for about 2 hours trying to sort through it all. But it was totally worth it, I ended up counting over £40. And that was just the stuff I was sorting out into bags, I left the other stuff out for using for buses etc.

I must have collected it all up as a kid and just forgotten about it! Just goes to show it's worth doing a hunt around the house for old bits of change!

Comments

• BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I found a bag of coins saved as a child I could probably flog them on antiques roadshow...good find

whoops..just noticed date of OP!

See, it's an age thing
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    True if I could find some silver (joey's) threepenny pieces I would be very happy.My late ma-in-law used to have about half a dozen that she kept to put in the Christmas pud.If you found one you gave it back and (I usually gave it to the children to 'find')and she would then give them a shilling (5p) in exchange .Oh for the days when a shilling was worth something and not just chucked away as useless by kids outside sweetshops .I have picked lots up this way and would never walk by them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure