New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Scary gas bill

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
4 replies 690 views
melburymelbury Forumite
13.1K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
I have just phoned in my gas meter reading and after doing the sums reckon the bill for the quarter Dec - March will be around £400. I know that my monthly direct debit for the past three months will not nearly cover this (even though it was increased a while ago), so do you think they will demand full payment or put my direct debit up through the roof without asking me?

I am one of those sad people who have never switched - have British Gas and local electricity company - just like to keep them separate for some stupid reason. I keep doing comparisons on the various sites, but always chicken out when it comes to changing - I guess I am scared of getting billed on two fronts!
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Replies

• you should change one of them to take advantage of dual fuel discounts (by having supplies from the same company).
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
  • juniper1juniper1 Forumite
    47 posts
    From previous experience, British Gas know that your bills will be higher in the winter and they assume your usage will be lower in the summer so your direct debit is calculated for annual usage. Its swings & roundabouts really. I think you'll find that you'll be in deficit for a while and things will even themselves out in the summer. If you're worried speak to British Gas I used to find them very helpful. I'm with Scottish power now and mine's a different story. Have posted a new thread asking for help re switching
  • No one is allowed to increase Direct Debits without informing you, check the banks Direct Debit guarantee
  • No one is allowed to increase Direct Debits without informing you, check the banks Direct Debit guarantee

yes quite, but your company WILL write to you, inform you of an increase and then you will have to contact them to say you do not want the increase.
    If you are in debt at this time it is likely the energy supplier will ask you to make FULL payment for any debt outstanding before agreeing to return the DD amount to what it was.
    However, it is also not sensible to think that last years DD installment value will cover this years, given the recent price increases.
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support