PAYE payment question

Options
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, if not I apologise, but wondered if someone could offer help/clarification

As I am employed by a small company, all my deductions for NI and tax are made via the PAYE system, and the company pays these to the HMRC on my behalf.

I have however become aware that the company hasn't paid any of my deductions over since last August, due to financial constraints. I have however been provided with my P60 for the last financial year, including all the deductions.

How does the non-payment by the company, affect my contributions record for NI and the tax

Comments

• Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    And the revenue hasn't come after them for it? I imagine you will be alright as long as you can prove that the deduction wos made from your income. It doesn't look good for your company. If it continues, and they can't pay, they probably will be forced into liquidation, and then the revenue will become a creditor for the unpaid PAYE.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    Yes, your P60 should cover you, it shows that your NI contributions and income tax have been deducted from your gross salary. Your employers should have filed a copy with HMRC too. It might be worth getting some more opinions though.

It does sound alarming: is your job safe? What if they can't afford to pay you too? How long can they get away with not paying HMRC? Have they not been paying the Employer's NI either?
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Simstwins
    Simstwins Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks money grabber, I'm not sure when the deadline for PAYE payments to be made for the previous tax year is, but I guess it must be soon? I'm more worried about my own tax/ni position, than the future of the company at the moment, as I don't want to get on the 'wrong side' of HMRC. If the worst happens, I can always stack shelves - my mother's saying! ;)
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Tax and NIC payments should be sent to HMRC every month. You should have received your P60 by 31 May, so if you dont get it by then, you should ask your employer.
    If you have payslips showing tax and NIc deducted, then you have reason to believe that your employer is paying your tax. HMRC wont come after you for it.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Simstwins
    Options
    It does sound alarming: is your job safe? What if they can't afford to pay you too? How long can they get away with not paying HMRC? Have they not been paying the Employer's NI either?

I don't think my job is safe, however my employer is an eternal optimist, and thinks an upturn is just round the corner. My salary is paid at the end of the month for the month, but the company has manage to scrape enough together over the last month or two to pay it. I don't know when the HMRC will come knocking for my deductions , but I don't see it being too far away. If the company hasn't paid my deductions, I don't think the employers NI will have been paid either! What a relief I have my P60, and can show receipt of pay net of my deductions. Time to look for a new job
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    PlutoinCapricorn Posts: 4,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am glad that you are facing up to things. I believe that HMRC is the creditor most likely to be paid if the worst came to the worst: they would get their money as they are preferential creditors and there might not be enough to pay your wages.

I believe that you can get a pension forecast: it may seem a bit early for that, but it is based on your NI contribution record so is a way of double checking that you have been credited with all the deductions.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• yllas_2
    yllas_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    fengirl wrote: »
    You should have received your P60 by 31 May, so if you dont get it by then, you should ask your employer.
    I just found your helpful reply and my husband is having trouble getting his P60, he has asked for it on several occasions and has just been informed he won't get it till the very end of July! :angry:
    Can his employer do this? Do they have a legal requirement to provide the P60 in a set time? He especially needs his P60 not only for tax credits but also as the bank want to see it regarding a mortgage.

Any help/info would be much appreciated.
    BTW phoned the local Tax office and they said he should expect it in April/May time, but gave no official deadline.
  • Simstwins
    Options
    yllas wrote: »
    I just found your helpful reply and my husband is having trouble getting his P60, he has asked for it on several occasions and has just been informed he won't get it till the very end of July! :angry:
    Can his employer do this? Do they have a legal requirement to provide the P60 in a set time? He especially needs his P60 not only for tax credits but also as the bank want to see it regarding a mortgage.

Any help/info would be much appreciated.
    BTW phoned the local Tax office and they said he should expect it in April/May time, but gave no official deadline.

Hi, in my looking round the PAYE site to try and find information about my own situation I too have come across information that states May 31st is the last day for handing P60 slips in relation to the previous tax year - see the link below

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/payroll/year-end/checklist.htm
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    If he is still in their employment, they will be committing an offence if they don't give them out by the 31st May.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • Dunc6
    Dunc6 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Although you have a P60 it depends if the Company you work for has filed a P35 together with the P14's. If the Company has not filed these then HM Revenue & Customs will not be aware of the amounts of PAYE and NIC you have been deducted.

As you have been given your P60 this may suggest that they have filed the P35 & P14's, which had to be filed by the 19th May, but as money is tight they may have opted to take the £100 penalty per month instead..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure