We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Basic help saving £1k a month

Hi all.

Bit of background for you. From never being able to save a penny in my life I opened the halifax regular saver (10%) which is up in july and will have £6k total.

The other half has £5k of debt so Im going to pay that off and she will be paying me back. So with my £500 and her £500 I will have £1k a month to save.

I dont need the money for 12 months however I need to be able to get to it sould i need to.

I dont have any ISA at the moment.

What are my best options?

Thanks guys.

Craig

Comments

• DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    SIRUSKEY,
    There are a few Isa's paying over 3% with instant access. Try this comparison site.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/isap/IsasResults.asp

If your under 50 this year you won't be able to go over 3,600.
    Check out for regular saver rates, some are around 6%

Good fortune.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2009 at 6:54PM
    SIRUSKEY wrote: »
    Hi all.

Bit of background for you. From never being able to save a penny in my life I opened the halifax regular saver (10%) which is up in july and will have £6k total.

The other half has £5k of debt so Im going to pay that off and she will be paying me back. So with my £500 and her £500 I will have £1k a month to save.

I dont need the money for 12 months however I need to be able to get to it sould i need to.

I dont have any ISA at the moment.

What are my best options?

Thanks guys.

Craig
    I'd look in to Regular Savers again as well as considering ISAs. Barclays are paying 6% on their reg saver and I suspect Halifax will increase their 4% in the next month or so. Then look to top up ISAs on maturity.

You may also want to consider some sort of longer term saving - regular premium stocks and shares ISAs may give you more exciting growth potential if you're prepared to bang part of the money away and forget about it ... e.g. 2 x £250 a month in Barclays regular saver account, 2 x £200 in Halifax regular saver and 2 x £50 each in to a suitable stocks and shares ISA.

That would leave you with £900 a month maturing in a year (with access if needed, subject to loss of premium rate) and £100 a month for a rainy day at an unknown point in the distant future - but the option of withdrawing the funds as and when you need them.
  • SIRUSKEY
    SIRUSKEY Posts: 58 Forumite
    thanks, i will look into that
  • SIRUSKEY
    SIRUSKEY Posts: 58 Forumite
    Just looking into stocks and shares isa. Seems to be a big risk and be locked away for 6yrs.

Not sure if I have the bottle to risk the money, lol. I will keep looking.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    SIRUSKEY wrote: »
    Just looking into stocks and shares isa. Seems to be a big risk and be locked away for 6yrs.

Not sure if I have the bottle to risk the money, lol. I will keep looking.
    You can choose funds with higher/lower risk.

You shouldn't need to be locked away for 6 years, but should view it as a long term investment.

BUT: If you don't fancy it ... don't do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.