Electric prepayment meter from BG

Options
Hi there,

I am using this forum for the first time so hope this is ok, I have gotten behind with my electric bill and as it's past 28 days they have told me my only option is a prepay meter, i am slightly concerned they will take loads from me each top up, also i have heard that people on certain benefits can have their debt repayment set lower, is this true and what benefits are these?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, prepayment repayments are usually set very low, particularly if you tell them you are on benefits.

You may be confused by the fact that up to 70% of payments can be claimed for emergency credit and irregular top-ups and standing charges - that is a different issue and is easily accounted for (by not using the emergency and remembering a standing charge exists).
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    If your on income support or JSA then you may get it lowered. but get it sorted asap or they will fit you one on a warrant and charge you for all the costs involved.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It shouldn't be your only option.
    If you can't afford to pay the whole bill now, they should offer you a payment plan to pay for this bill and your ongoing consumption - this could be DD, standing order, magnetic card.
    While PP may be an option, it shouldn't be your only one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure