PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mealplanning - weekly, fortnightly or monthly?

Options
13»

Comments

• nic82
    nic82 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    I know it wasn't me who started this thread, but just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted. There are some excellent meals on here and given me some really good ideas.

As some of you will know, I'm only very new to OS and mealplanning in general - I've only been living in my house for 2 weeks, so have a lot to learn still. Further to my post a couple of weeks ago about the best cookery books to buy, I bought three :eek: and am now making it my aim to cook at least 1 new meal a week out of them. Tonight is my "new recipe" night and we're having pork pockets which sound quite easy to do, so we shall see :rolleyes:

Anyway, I seem to have hijacked this thread a bit with this post, so I'll stop talking now!
  • DopeyDora_2
    Options
    Hi,

Tend to shop/plan for around 2 weeks. Bit askew at moment as I want to move to shopping for an actual calendar month

Current plan from 16th march to the end of the month:

Thurs 16th Vegetable stir fry & egg noodles
    Friday Pork & apple casserole
    Sat Home made pizza & garlic bread
    Sun Roast chicken, roast spuds, stuffing, veg
    Mon Chicken fajitas (using leftovers), tortilla chips & salsa, soured cream & jalapenos
    Tues Red peppers stuffed with cous cous, pine nuts & feta
    Wed Spaghetti bologanise or lasagne

Thurs Chicken korai & naan bread
    Fri Toad in the hole
    Sat Red pesto pasta & garlic bread
    Sun Beef bourginon
    Mon Homemade quiche
    Tues Liver & bacon casserole
    Wed Chicken kiev & wedges

Thurs Sausage casserole
    Fri 31st Corn beef hash

Lunch tends to be sandwiches or leftovers from the previous evening taken to work. Neither of us ever have breakfast (slap wrists), and we never have puddings. Just not big eaters I guess although we do always really enjoy our evening meals.

Dora x
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I shop on Friday afternoon and buy the necessary food for the following week.

I'm pretty new to OS and don't really do alot of cooking from scratch, plus at the moment I'd be far too afraid to batch cook and freeze, might give us both a poorly tum. :o
    However, this is the sort of thing I buy - this is for two of us.

Salmon / cod fillets.
    Turkey or chicken breast.
    Somthing or other from the "good for you range" - Asda
    Veggie burgers / sausages
    Tinned Mackeral - either salads or sandwich filling
    Eggs - as above.
    Potatoes and veg
    Salad - we've got an allotment which is in its first year so hopfully more home grown stuff.

We're about to look at bulk buying dry produce as I have a Makro card.
  • Littlemiss-lotsofdebt
    Options
    nic82 wrote:
    I've got to ask...what are cheesy mash castles?

LOL Cheesy mash castles are really my friend's invention. He makes normal mash (which I'm still trying to make without added lumps), then stirs in grated cheese and sometimes onion too. He then makes them into balls, puts them on a baking sheet, flattens them down slightly and puts them under a grill to brown the top. :drool:
    Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!
  • Wendrie
    Wendrie Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I do a month to six weekly plans, I buy in bulk from SUMA (whole food/vegetarian co-op) every eight to ten weeks and try to ensure I have basic pantry items in stock - organic tinned tomatoes/sweet corn/black beans/baked beans/sauerkraut/passata/dried fruit/nuts etc. plus flour/pasta/rice/cous cous/tea/coffee/sugar/t'rolls/cleaning supplies. We store food in the kitchen, the hallway and under the stairs, plus in the basement Have used boxes under armchairs, corners of the living room and even the lean to/porch in one house. <G>

We also do a Costco shop about every six weeks - and I do a menu plan for about six weeks in advance. The current one finishes just before Easter as I don't know how much time off dh is getting and therefore don't know when we're back.

Sunday is usually CORD en Blue (Clear Out Refrigerator Darlings on Blue plates :) ) or easy/snacky stuff with ice cream/desserts as we do Sundaes on Sunday. Most meals I presume I'm going to feed the four of us (2 adults, 1 large teen male and 1 slightly smaller almost teen female) with maybe leftovers for one person's lunch (usually dh) sometimes two.

Monday 20th - Spinach pasta casserole (veggie lasagne like) Cake & icecream
    Tuesday 21st - Sweet bean burritots (mashed sweet potato/carrot/parsnip basically what is left in the veg basket mixed with black beans, heated/fried with butter/celery and rolled in tortillas - add some lettuce and cheese)
    Wednesday - baked potatoes, sausages, baked beans cornbread. Baked pears.
    Thursday - pinto bean soup, left over cornbread. Ice cream and cookies
    Friday - Chicken Jambalaya in the slow cooker, rice, broccoli.
    Saturday - big shop at Costco so Rotisserie chicken salad sandwiches when we get home
    Sunday - Lemon Basil Speg (add left over chicken) - melt butter add finely chopped fresh basil, lemon zest & juice pour over hot drained pasta. Also nice with broccoli and can add in left over meat bits.

Monday 27 - winter veg chowder, fresh baked rolls (bought part baked) Brownies.
    Tuesday 28th Fish Marengo (with tomato salsa) roasted butternut squash and root veg medley broccoli
    Wednesday 29 - Greek Pasta (pasta, olives, feta cheese) salad. Fruit and yogurt.
    Thursday Cream of spinach soup, corn bread, fruit cobbler and custard.
    Friday - Crock pot Bolognese sauce, speg, garlic rolls salad.
    Saturday - home made cornish pasties (made by kids) salad, cookies.
    Sunday stuffed beef tomatoes, root veg medley, green veg (broccoli/cabbage)

Monday Chicken casserole, rice, black bean side, green veg side
    Tuesday - Zucchini (Courgettes) skillet supper, spaghetti, peas.
    Wednesday - Double potato soup, cornbread, fruit crumble w ice cream/custard
    Thursday Salmon burgers on buns, green salad plus extra bits.
    Friday - Tuscan chicken w rice & broccoli.
    Saturday Rosemary Chicken, mashed pot, roasted root veg/butternut squash, peas.
  • Wendrie
    Wendrie Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I know I've mentioned it elsewhere but https://www.savingdinner.com has free menus that you can download and print out. Her recipes often use bottled sauces (the spinach pasta casserole yesterday had one - and I just made my own, stuck it in the fridge and assembled it as if it was bottled later :) ) or other items you might want to change. I have two of her books and those plus More with Less Cooking are the mainstays of my menu planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport