Glasgow companies to replace/renovate windows - Recommendations Please

I have an old Glasgow tenement flat with drafty, rattly old sash windows. I am looking to either renovate or replace them this summer - but I'm looking to avoid the dreaded double glazing salesmen!

Can anyone recommend any reliable firms in the Glasgow area that do good quality, reasonably priced window renovations and/or replacement double glazing?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Hi Sammi22. Many thanks for the recommendation - I will give them a call and get a quote :).
  • d9705996
    d9705996 Posts: 12 Forumite
    I have recently been in the exact same position and primarily on the recommendation of Sammi22 contacted Freelance and was a decision I have so far not regretted.

The quote that was provided was a third of the price of the nearest rival!!! However it was not the price that swayed me to choose Freelance but the enthusiasm that Martin showed how he would try and retain as much of the original styling of the old surrounds of the sash box window as possible. He also asked for no deposit and would collect paymnet only after we were 100% happy with the installation

After seeing the quality of the Windows in his workshop on Crow Road we signed up immediately and were told we could have the windows fitted within 2-3 Weeks, unlike 4-6 weeks from the bigger rivals.

The two workmen arrived and took 2.5 days to remove and replaced all the old windows with the new PVC windows and the entire timber frame build up. Not bad considering we are the third floor up and the windows looked very heavy indeed!!!

I would have not hesitation to recommend this company to friends and family.
  • sashman
    sashman Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post
    yellolorry wrote: »
    I have an old Glasgow tenement flat with drafty, rattly old sash windows. I am looking to either renovate or replace them this summer - but I'm looking to avoid the dreaded double glazing salesmen!

Can anyone recommend any reliable firms in the Glasgow area that do good quality, reasonably priced window renovations and/or replacement double glazing?

Thanks for your help.

No doubt these tilt and turn will be great windows, only they will change to face of the building if you had sash and case windows originally......You can have the benefits of PVC AND retain the character of the building with PVCu sash and case but they will be more expensive than T/T

sashman
    Buying quality goods which last, should be an investment that saves money. :T
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:

• Ideally I would have preferred to replace the sash windows with like for like or uPVC sash and case windows. However the cost factor was just too high to make it a valid option. (we were quoted between £1000 & £3000 per window x 8 windows)

If money is no option then go for sash and case, if you are on a budget then unfortunately Tilt & Turn seems to be the only economic option
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    d9705996 wrote: »
    Ideally I would have preferred to replace the sash windows with like for like or uPVC sash and case windows. However the cost factor was just too high to make it a valid option. (we were quoted between £1000 & £3000 per window x 8 windows)

If money is no option then go for sash and case, if you are on a budget then unfortunately Tilt & Turn seems to be the only economic option

So you were quoted £1000-3000 for sash and case windows.

What did Freelance Windows quote you for Tilt and Turn?
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    I used Freelance window some years ago for a couple of Windows and would not use them again.
    There were indeed cheap.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for
  • Scotsbob, Freelance quoted £3,400 for the full job. Juliescot, why would you not use Freelance again?
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2009 at 4:19PM
    juliescot wrote: »
    I used Freelance window some years ago for a couple of Windows and would not use them again.
    There were indeed cheap.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for

I have heard some horror stories as well. They are not very highly regarded.
  • What sort of horror stories? I am hoping they are not about the products in the long term or the after-care support
  • d9705996 wrote: »
    Ideally I would have preferred to replace the sash windows with like for like or uPVC sash and case windows. However the cost factor was just too high to make it a valid option. (we were quoted between £1000 & £3000 per window x 8 windows)

I make no comment on this company as I dont know their reputation, what I do know is T/T will be fitted into the old box frame, that means the windows will be smaller, less light (more plastic) and T/T are not very good at ventilating stale air. They will require ugly ventilators to be fitted (not required with sash) besides which they change the look and character of your home.......but they are cheaper, I wonder why?:confused:

Perhaps you should consider sash and case on the front elevation, and cheaper alternatives on the rear.

sashman
    Buying quality goods which last, should be an investment that saves money. :T
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure