We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

8% interest from HSBC regular saver/ current account

Options
Just thought I'd post on this before I forget. Sounds like a very good offer

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/savings/regular-saver

regular_saver_banner.gif;jsessionid=0000f2FMFY-jGbzp--6wDaW21Rk:12c58sh8k
Fix your interest rate for 12 months by applying for our Regular Saver Account. Current Account Advance customers can earn 8% AER/gross. HSBC Premier, HSBC Plus and Passport customers can receive a preferential rate of 10% AER/gross.
The essentials

• Rate is fixed for 12 months.
  • Interest is calculated on daily cleared balance and paid on first anniversary of account opening.
  • Save between £25 and £250 in the first month, then make regular payments every month by standing order from your HSBC current account of at least £25 up to the maximum monthly balance.
  • The maximum balance starts at £250 in month one and then increases by £250 each month thereafter.
  • For example: If you invest £250 per month, a total of £3,000 will be paid into your account during the 12 month term. At 10% interest, you will earn approximately £163 interest (gross).
  • One Regular Saver account per customer only.
  • Available only to customers who have their monthly salary or retirement income paid to an HSBC Premier Bank Account, HSBC Plus Bank Account, Passport Bank Account or Current Account Advance.
  • If you close your account before the end of the 12 month term you will receive interest at our Flexible Saver rate.
  • No withdrawals allowed within 12 months. At the end of 12 months, the account balance will be swept into a Flexible Saver, Preferential Flexible Saver or HSBC Premier Savings account.
  • Manage your account at your branch or by phone.

Comments

• paulw19
    paulw19 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think this has been posted before. I went for either this or a similar deal myself, and there is £50 on offer from TopCashBack and £40 for switching bank accounts (pay, debits etc) using HSBC's switching service. All things considered its a very good deal, I think I calculated the interest to be around 12.5% with the £90 additional added, not factoring the interest that could also be gained by reinvesting the £90 bonus.
    :beer:
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,158 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    paulw19 wrote: »
    I think this has been posted before. £40 for switching bank accounts (pay, debits etc) using HSBC's switching service. QUOTE]

I believe that it has been posted before that the 40.00 switching incentive ended on 31 March. :cool:
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I saw 40 mentioned as a bonus for switching, ends 15th june
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    If only I didn't have to go into the HSBC branch to open it... I'd be there.

Can I be bothered going to HSBC to wait in a queue for 45 minutes for an account where you can only save such a small amount each month? I'm not sure I can.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • paulw19
    Options
    Pretty sure its still going, they only recently offered it to me - there was a delay in getting my account opened because I lost the paperwork! I'll check the literature they sent when I get in from work.
  • paulw19
    Options
    To nzseries1, I opened my account online, has to be done this way to get the £50 from TopCashBack.
  • Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Surely to have a current account you have to pay a fee on negates the benifit of such a great interest rate as you can only save a small amount per month?
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,158 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Dinah93 wrote: »
    Surely to have a current account you have to pay a fee on negates the benifit of such a great interest rate as you can only save a small amount per month?

50.00 Cashback Site incentive is for a fee free HSBC Current Account.

To O/P : It was stated in another thread that the 40.00 switching incentive was finishing on 31 March 2009. I was unaware of that offer and applied online on 1 April :o as I wanted the CB to feature within my April TCB transactions. I saw no mention of the 40.00 switch incentive, perhaps a new switch incentive offer was launched.
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    paulw19 wrote: »
    To nzseries1, I opened my account online, has to be done this way to get the £50 from TopCashBack.
    While the current account can be opened online, the Regular Saver (which is what I read nzseries to mean) can't.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This account won't be available past June, neither will the 10% bigger brother of this account.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport