credit card debt only person has died

Options
my father died with a balance of 600 owing on his mastercard they are still asking me to pay the debt is this right ?

Comments

• MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    The money should be paid out of the estate - so if there is anything left from your father - then it goes to pay the debt.

Otherwise - no - it should be written off.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has his estate been settled (will now carried out, or probate completed) ?

If not, then they will have to wait until that is done.

If he left nothing (as was the case with my father), then the debt will be written off.

Don't let them hassle you tho'
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • debtdestroyer007
    Options
    yes most creditors wait for 3 months post bereavement. if there is nothing in the estate, it will be written off. any one telling u to pay though is breaking the law, tell them u will complain to trading standards and the OFT about their business practice and suitablity to hold a valid CC license..... they should shut up
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    I agree totally with the previous posters, don't let them bully you! They often use scare tactics to get the cash. It can only legally be paid from the estate, you must not pay it, as you can't claim that money from the estate.

Make it clear to them, and state that you are not liable and accept no responsibilty for the debt (unless you were jointly liable).

As a rule unsecured debts 'die' with the person, they can be taken from the estate, but when it's gone it's gone!
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
  • Robert_Sterling
    Robert_Sterling Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    KAZZY wrote: »
    my father died with a balance of 600 owing on his mastercard they are still asking me to pay the debt is this right ?

You do not have to pay it unless you are an executer of your father's will.

My guess is that unless he left no assets whatsoever you would wish the executer to pay off his debts as well as distribute his assets in an appropriate manner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure