Free cinema entry for dla carers

Options
After seeing an article on this site for recipiants of DLA to take a carer into the cinema for free I applied for it. It was easy and only cost £5.50 and is valid for 3 years. My son (DLA recipiant) have been to the cinema twice so have already saved over £5.50 and he loves it knowing we can go more often than we used to. I would recommend more people took advantage of this great deal.

Karen xxx:T
***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***

Comments

• Jibbajabba
    Jibbajabba Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the posting. It has been posted before but new people to the site, or DLA, won't know about it as it's not clearly advertised. I only found out by accident when I applied for a train pass!

The £5.50 only pays for one year now instead of the 3yrs previously which is understandable and reasonable - as you said, you saved your money in 2 visits.

Eligible criteria = DLA/AA receipt or 'blind' registered.
    http://www.ceacard.co.uk/
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I applied in February this year and our card expires in 2012, the 3yr rule must have changed very recently.
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Think the same applies to swimming, bowling etc, always best to ask then if there are any discounts available for disabled people and their carers
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    and an extra tip, which I only discovered this morning when I rang my council leisure services...

I knew already that we didn't qualify for discounted swimming ourselves as we don't receive any of the benefits that would allow this, so I rang asking if there was a discount for carers. Again, we don't claim any of the benefits that would get us this. However, having had a good laugh with the lady I told her I'd just have to factor the cost in to the care plan. Bingo, we now have to wait for her to confirm that we're under the care of social services and we should get a discount.

So, if social services are involved, mention it, it might make all the difference, espcially if the services are run by your local council.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Invasion
    Invasion Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    The 3 year rule changed in March I believe, so yes very recently :)
  • mealone
    mealone Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Is it any rate of DLA?
  • Invasion
    Invasion Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    Any rate of either component makes you eligible :)
  • mealone
    mealone Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you very much Invasion.
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    yea i got a cea well worth it also i tend to get in free in places as a career do get annoyed tho when they ask for a carers card as there isnt one but take my award notice and driving lisnce with me x
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wasn't aware of this but shall be applying for sure as there is a wide range of cinemas participating (I hope all staff are aware of the scheme!).

The Globe Theatre have a concession scheme for disabled people + carers which is basically a BOGOF. I have an unseen disability, which I mentioned to them, so will be taking along my DLA allowance letter just in case.
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport