PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Trinity Estates Management Company really are ripping us off!

Options
We live in a house on a new build development made up of three roads. In total there are approximately 80 units across the development, made up of approx 20% Private Apartments and 80% private houses.

Since the estate was built in December 2005 by Linden Homes, all residents have been paying Trinity Estates a monthly charge (approx £14 a month) to maintain the communal grass areas, upkeep of the street lighting and communal satellite dish and provide a sinking fund for the road. However in December 2008 we received a letter from Trinity Estates to say that 2 of the 3 roads were to be adopted by the council as of Jan 2009.

Bearing in mind that Trinity Estates were only responsible for one road now (not mine), I assumed the monthly charge would stop, or at the very least be reduced. However it has not and all residents are still paying the £14 a month. I along with fellow residents feel aggrieved to be paying a charge to Trinity Estates when they are not maintaining anything in our road.

Does anyone know where we stand with this? How do we go about getting rid of them, because despite several letters to Trinity Estates, they just say everyone has to pay for the upkeep of the one road and that they still maintain a communal satellite dish. It seems like daylight robbery to me. If every home is paying £168 a year they are receiving approximately £13,440 a year for doing almost nothing! Please Help.

Comments

• joeman_2
    joeman_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Trinity Estates are a rip off...
    I own a number of properties in Southampton, one of which i managed by Trinity Estates.
    when i bought the property, the service charge was around 500 per year, its now over 1300 per year!!
    My other similar flats in the same area which are not managed by trinity only cost aroun £450 per year in service charges, and they have larger communal areas and a lift to maintain.

Currently im considering making contact with all other lease holders in my building and seeing if we can get rid of Trinity Estates as they are seriously ripping us off!!
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at the Leasehold Advisory Service's web pages - https://www.lease-advice.org.uk
  • bengal66uk
    Options
    i live on this estate but i only pay for flood defences however, i think you will be in for quite a battle with trinity.
    these type of payments are more for the developers making money than the repairs and maintenance. a very common situation on modern developments.
    maybe in 20 years this may be another ppi but until then...............good luck
  • jamie11
    jamie11 Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Options
    OP. Please look at the 'naming and shaming' rules on the site, you could cause a lot of problems for yourself and the site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure