PO Phone Service. Warning.

Options
I moved to PO.

I only make calls at evenings and weekends .I guess i make roughly 30 a month and they last about half an hour on average. These calls use to cost me approx £1.65p a month on BT. The same calls are costing me approx £9 a month on the PO.

Also i notice they are charging me £1.75p a month for caller display,which BT did not charge me for.

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    So where did the planning go wrong?

Ah. Found it now. BT charge 5.5p for off peak 01/02 calls of up to an hour.

You obviously missed the fact that P.O. charge 1p per minute off peak for those.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • bustergut
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    So where did the planning go wrong?

Ah. Found it now. BT charge 5.5p for off peak 01/02 calls of up to an hour.

You obviously missed the fact that P.O. charge 1p per minute off peak for those.

Yes i did. I incorrectly assumed they would cap evening and weekend calls like BT and other suppliers but they dont.

I guess i want be the only one to have increased bills by swapping to them.Hence my warning.
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Buster, why dont you start using a carrier select service?
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    pawpurrs means www.call1899.co.uk (which P.O. have not yet barred - but they may).

3p per call at any time to 01 and 02 numbers.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Tony_Bear
    Options
    Hi, Tried to switch my parents to the PO phone, but they have been turned down due to been on the BT light user scheme. As Martin said this was a good move for light users i wondered if anyone else had switched without a problem.
  • mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    Tony_Bear wrote:
    Hi, Tried to switch my parents to the PO phone, but they have been turned down due to been on the BT light user scheme. As Martin said this was a good move for light users i wondered if anyone else had switched without a problem.

Theirs Light users and theirs Light users. ;)

The Post Office clearly state on their site under faq

Do I need a residential line to qualify?

Yes, you need a standard residential line to become a Post Office™ HomePhone customer. Unfortunately, we cannot accept orders from customers using cable, the BT Light User scheme or Kingston Communications
  • Shiggaddi
    Shiggaddi Posts: 938 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I'm going over to them, purely to get the £50 (plus £15 from a cashback reward site)

I have some mobile phones with inclusive minutes (which I got with deals like 12 months free line rental etc)

Therefore I won't be making any calls, and only paying the line rental, like I do at the moment to BT.

Just waiting for the date of transfer letter now!!
  • Tony_Bear
    Options
    Theirs Light users and theirs Light users. ;)

The Post Office clearly state on their site under faq

Do I need a residential line to qualify?

Yes, you need a standard residential line to become a Post Office™ HomePhone customer. Unfortunately, we cannot accept orders from customers using cable, the BT Light User scheme or Kingston Communications
    Thanks, didn't see it, it was just with Martin saying if you make fewer than £5 worth of calls per month it was a good move, so i went for it.
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shiggaddi wrote:
    I'm going over to them, purely to get the £50 (plus £15 from a cashback reward site)

I have some mobile phones with inclusive minutes (which I got with deals like 12 months free line rental etc)

Therefore I won't be making any calls, and only paying the line rental, like I do at the moment to BT.

Just waiting for the date of transfer letter now!!

Two points PO, clearly state that you must use the phone, or you do not get the £50 rebate, and if you go throug quidco the cashback reward is currently £30.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pawpurrs wrote:
    Two points PO, clearly state that you must use the phone, or you do not get the £50 rebate

Where does it state that ? The full £50 rebate T&C's are :-

£50 offer Terms & Conditions

This offer applies to new Post Office™ HomePhone customers only
    A total of £50 will be credited to every customers’ bill if the date of application is between the dates 1st January and 31st March 2006
    The offer closes at midnight on 31st March 2006
    £25 will be credited to the second bill (+3 mnths after go live) and the third bill (+6 mnths after go live)
    Customers are free to leave the service at any time, however the credits will only be applied if the customer has an active Post Office™ HomePhone account on the dates of their second and third bill
    The £50 offer includes VAT
    This offer is limited to one per account only
    Existing Post Office™ HomePhone customers cannot cancel and reapply to get the new offer
    Standard residential line required
    Standard Post Office™ HomePhone terms and conditions apply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure