Parents won benefit appeal but will take about 2 months for backdated money

Options
ryouga
ryouga Posts: 330 Forumite
edited 9 May 2009 at 2:07AM in Benefits & tax credits
Is this just an excuse? My dad was called for a medical in the first week of
December 2008 but the interviewer was swamped and called my dad 2 hours late
and 5 minutes before closing, so my dad said he went there and they called
him in and just asked his name then sen t him home. A short while later he got a
letter advising him his benefit had been stopped due to the medical exam he had
done but the exam report said a bunch of lies, my parents both have a history of
depression and the report said he told them he had no history of mental illness
(that was how my parents met!) that he has never had a drink or drug problem
(he almost died from overdosing when I was a little kid and was addicted
to drugs for about 20 yaers) The list goes on and on.

Anyway they cut my parents money down by half so they lived off about £45
between the 2 of them till about last week when my dad finally saw the appeals
people and a few days later found out he won.

Thing is my parents were entitled to winter fuel payments, and the bonus around christmas and they say they wont give that for one, and two say that it takes around 2 months or more to get the backdated payments to them due to the computer system but we think this is just an excuse because they literally stopped payment the same day they stopped the claim so why cant payment be restarted so easily.

I believe its just one because of the goverment cutbacks since my parents know someone (not friends with them though just worked with them in past) who has serious schitzophrenia and is banned from the town centre and isnt allowed in any pubs/cubs and shops in town who had their benefit stopped for being "fit for work" despite being a very violent person and attacking people often(hence being banned from town) and was sectioned literally a week later!

I think its just a bad sytstem.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure what information you need?

Processing of benefit decisions can take time, the DWP are incredibly busy at the moment, but it is likely they meant up to two months, not that it will take two months. I would give them a call in two weeks if you have not heard from them by then.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • ryouga
    ryouga Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    Well the claim is live so it should just be a case of adjusting the amount paid and sending a backdated payment, there was no delay when they said my dad had to sign on and stopped his money the same day so they have no excuse.

Also the impression from my dad(who doesnt normally exagerrate) was that it would take 2 months and no less as the payments had to be authorised as its a big amount and then it goes out at the end of that month so it will take about a month to authorise so takes us to June then will be sent at the end of June.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Payments do not go out only once a month.

If you are concerned at the possibility of there being a delay then give them a call and politely ask when you/ they should expect to receive the money. If there is a delay then ask why. Simple.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    keep the faith...i know its a different department but after over 3 months of waiting for our wtc/ctc to be told last week it would be another 3 weeks before our claim was even looked at, it was sorted and we recived the back pay this week, its just got to land on the right desk i suppose, best of luck, tho unfair as it seems it will get sorted...
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I read recently (from a reliable source) that the official time for backpayments to be received after a successful appeal was 4 to 6 weeks.

Either this has increased or the information you were give was incorrect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure