help with disability aids?

Options
FIL is terminally ill & we want to keep him at home as long as possible. He finds it increasingly difficult to get upstairs & unfortunately, the toilet is upstairs. MIL cant really cope with a commode, so we are considering installing a stair lift. FIL gets DLA at highest level plus mobility. They also get pension credit. Would they be entitled to any help with the stairlift? Or anything else for that matter that would make it a little easier for him
:smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Comments

• bex2002
    bex2002 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There are ways to get help through an occupational therapist at the council but it would take quite a while to do all the assessments, get funding, and get quotes etc, my nan had one put in a few years ago to replace her old one in this way when her old one broke down.
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your FIL's illness.

FIL and MIL probably would get help, depending on their savings. As he is terminally ill you should find they will fast-track his case.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem with OTs is they can take months for even emergency help, and since your FIL is unfortunatly terminal they may not be able to react in time.

You can rent stairlifts for @£6 per week for a straight staircase but anything else ie corners on the stairs, are custom built and very, very expensive.

A bottle can be used for wees and the OT should be able to give you one of these straight away or you can buy them for under £10 each, but that dosnt help the stairs problem.

Has your FIL been assessed by SS for care needs? It can expidite an OTs assessment visit and your MIL can be assessed as his carer, many elderly people resist this (as is there right) but in many areas things have improved so it may be worth surgesting it to them.

Is your FIL in touch with Mcmillan or Marie Curie nurses? they are wonderfull at helping people to live at home, many people want to die in there own homes and with good paliative care this is increasingly possible.

Its very sad when a close relative has been diagnosed as terminally ill, so please look after yourself and your partner as well in this very difficult time.

sunnyone
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »

Is your FIL in touch with Mcmillan or Marie Curie nurses? they are wonderfull at helping people to live at home, many people want to die in there own homes and with good paliative care this is increasingly possible.

I believe they only work with cancer patients and the OP hasn't said that this is what FIL has.

The urinary bottle is an excellent suggestion.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May 2009 at 8:29PM
    Options
    The phrase terminally ill is used (dont know if exclusivly) for cancer suffers and because he has been awarded double high DLA, I assumed this (claiming under the special rules). Thankyou for putting me right Onw.

Sorry op if I am wrong and if its a different condition then if you chose to post it, it may help us to give more appropriate advice.

sunnyone
  • bex2002
    bex2002 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    palliative care nurses work with all patients with all terminal illnesses including heart failure and respiratory diseases etc, so it may be getting a referal to them if you do not so already.
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    Katykat wrote: »
    FIL is terminally ill & we want to keep him at home as long as possible. He finds it increasingly difficult to get upstairs & unfortunately, the toilet is upstairs. MIL cant really cope with a commode, so we are considering installing a stair lift. FIL gets DLA at highest level plus mobility. They also get pension credit. Would they be entitled to any help with the stairlift? Or anything else for that matter that would make it a little easier for him

Hi KatyKat

My GP contacted screeners at our council as he realised I needed extra help/care. I had an assessment done within 3 days by an OT....there are rules and regulations on assessment timings depending on urgency and as your FIL is terminal, I would think he would be a priority case....so it would be worth getting your GP on side.

They would have a financial assessment also to see if they qualify for help. If they only recive Pension Credit & DLA and have no savings, then I think they would qualify.

OT's are allowed to spend up to approx £1200 on each patient for equipment or adaptations without going to the board to be signed off.

The work I needed was agreed and ok'd in 1 week, then all the work was completed within 3 months from start to finish. This included a stairlift and a walk in shower/wet room as the major jobs. The equipment I was given was delivered the next day after assessment....this included things like...bath lift, bed lift, over bed table, commode, incontinence pads, special cutlery/plates etc, pick up sticks, wheelchair etc etc. They also assessed me as needing personal care for which I received DP's for....does he get any help with care?

They also have since then put a sink in downstairs loo and a step to the front of the house which will soon be made into a slope as Im in the wheelchair nearly 24/7 now.

I was very lucky as funding was available when the paperwork was signed off.

I hope that helps and I hope you get your FIL sorted. PM me if you need any further advice.

Where in the UK are you?

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2009 at 10:15PM
    Options
    bex2002 wrote: »
    palliative care nurses work with all patients with all terminal illnesses including heart failure and respiratory diseases etc, so it may be getting a referal to them if you do not so already.

I really wish that were so but McMillan nurses and Marie Curie nurses, like hospices, are predominantly concerned with cancer patients. There is far less help available for people with other terminal medical conditions.
  • Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes my FIl has cancer with secondaries. Unfortunately, he was visiting his daughter in Australia when he was taken ill ( spent most of the time there in hospital). He has only just arrived home so has not been seen by any Dr's here yet. I have arranged for Dr to visit after the weekend, so hopefully can get something sorted then ( wont be holding my breath though, as his "Dr" diagnosed indegestion 3 months ago- now his scan shows cancer oesophagus, stomach, liver & lungs) Looks like I may have to do all the organising myself. He has a V good benefits advisor who I will contact, so hopefully she can put me in touch with all the right people. Thanks for all your advise folks.
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport