Vanquis scam?

Options
Two months ago I began an account with Vanquis Credit card (Visa) and was given a £500 credit limit. I had a small spend (£21.50) and paid the amount off in full as soon as I received my first statement.

This morning I received my 2nd statement and was surprised to see the sum of -£1.00 had been added to my £0.00 credit balance ... ie: I owe Vanquis £1! Apparently the £1.00 debt was due to a "minimum finance charge".

I phoned the customer service line and a world-weary-sounding member of staff explained that "the monthly interest amount due is rounded up to the nearest complete £".
"How is there any interest due on a £0.00 balance?" I asked.
"I can remove the £1 for you if you like" she replied.
Yes, of course I would like!!!

Hmmmmmm ... I'm NOT impressed. I wonder how many free £1 'bonuses' Vanquis is collecting each month?

Comments

• BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    What did you spend £21.50 on?

Was it online betting or any card activity that could be classed as cash?
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No, it was a garment purchase.
  • thriftymomma
    thriftymomma Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Options
    How bizarre. I have not had any troubles of this sort with Vanquis.
    Got Halifax Classic to reduce my interest rate by 5% woohoo - 10/06/08 Thanks MSE!
    Another 3% shaved off 10/12/08
    ANOTHER 4 % June 09:beer:
  • sscott5581
    sscott5581 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I pay my vaqnuis visa every month by direct debit and have had this minimum service charge a number of times, it is always credited back to my credit limit once I phone to complain, I asked why this was happening and it is becuase if purchases are made on the statement date then while they are not detailed on that statement statement the available credit is reduced hence the charge. I told them this should not be happening but frankly wasn't impresses with their explanation to be honest!

Steven
  • clio
    clio Posts: 3,345 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2009 at 7:36PM
    Options
    They slipped it in and if you didn't notice they get the £1. You noticed so they are caught out - well done. Got too watch these Credit card company's they make the M@fia look amateurish!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure