We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

can i still cook this?

Morning everyone!

I got some mince out to defrost, unfortunately its now been left out too long, and its just above room temp (i stuck my finger in it !) will this be ok if i cook it now!? thank you
«1

Comments

  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 811 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    I'd eat it, But thats me.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,216 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ecangel24 wrote: »
    Morning everyone!

    I got some mince out to defrost, unfortunately its now been left out too long, and its just above room temp (i stuck my finger in it !) will this be ok if i cook it now!? thank you

    Surely it'll get even warmer when you cook it :confused: As long as it's not been at room temp for a couple of days, or smells funny, it'll be fine :D

    I'll add this to the Food Safety thread later.

    Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • ecangel24
    ecangel24 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Surely it'll get even warmer when you cook it :confused: As long as it's not been at room temp for a couple of days, or smells funny, it'll be fine :D

    I'll add this to the Food Safety thread later.

    Penny. x

    Haha I guess it will, off to fry it off and bung it in the slow cooker!
    Thanks for the advice, I can always count on you lot. :o
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,173 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Minced meat is actually the one you have to be most careful with.

    Bacteria grows on the cut surface of the meat, which is why it's ok to eat a steak that is well cooked on the outside, but still bloody in the middle. Minced meat obviously exposes many 'cut surfaces' , then mixes them all in together, which is why minced meat and any products made from it such as burgers, meatballs etc must always be thoroughly cooked.
    In addition a small amount of heat is generated by friction through the mincing process which can further accelerate the growth of bacteria and is why mince goes off more quickly than other cuts of meat.

    However follow the advice sensibly given on here and you'll be fine. Smell it, check the colour and if it seems ok, cook it thoroughly. With mince I was a little unsure of , I'd be inclined to boil it up in a little water/stock for a couple of minutes first.
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I regularly leave mince in my kitchen to defrost - if I put it in my fridge it would take days as it's so cold in there (but at the right temp according to my thermometer). I've not poisoned anyone yet doing it this way (although day's not over yet ;) )
    As long as it's thoroughly cooked you should be fine.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    How long has it been out?
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    I have never had a problem with leaving any meat out to defrost and as for warm mince being a harbourer of bacteria how do butchers get away with leaving mince in the windows of their shops on warm days???????
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Patchwork_Quilt Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    That's why I never have anything from the windows, bakers or butchers
  • jollyme
    jollyme Posts: 343 Forumite
    Clean finger?!?!?! :)
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,155 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    1. As long as it's only been out overnight to defrost.
    2. You subject it to intense heat to kill off any nasties.
    3. You wash that finger straight away. Ecoli can live on raw mince quite happily - it has to be there in the first place but you never know.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old style MoneySaving, Gardening, and Crafting boards. 
     If you need any help on these boards, please let me know.   Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.
     Please report any posts you spot that are in breach of the Forum Rules by using the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not of MoneySavingExpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.