Budgeting Loans

Options
Hi,

I've currently been claiming jobseekers allowance since the start of April and have now been fortunate enough to find employment and start on 18th May (hopefully).
I read that a budgeting loan can help with travelling costs, and as I won't be paid until 25th June, was wondering if they would help with regards to the new job. Travel will be hitting on £7 per day.

Any help much appreciated, or if a budgeting loan isn't right, anything else I could do.

Thanks

Comments

• AsknAnswer
    AsknAnswer Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    You won't be able to claim a budgeting loan as you need to have been in receipt of an Income Based benefit for 26 weeks or longer to qualify. As you have only been receiving it for a month you will not meet the qualifying criteria.

If you sign off benefit and have no money to live on and no other resource until you receive your wages, you could apply for a Crisis Loan for "Alignment to Wages"
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ask you advisor about the ADF (advisor discrentionary fund) this is there to help with stuff like this and doesnt have to be paid back
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    mcjordi wrote: »
    ask you advisor about the ADF (advisor discrentionary fund) this is there to help with stuff like this and doesnt have to be paid back

i dont think this applies as i think you have to be long term unemoloyed to qualify ie 6/12 mnths on jsa.
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    What difference should it make if your long term unemployed or not?

It's same difference, your starting a new job and need help regardless of how long you've been out of work!
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    lufcgirl wrote: »
    What difference should it make if your long term unemployed or not?

It's same difference, your starting a new job and need help regardless of how long you've been out of work!

because people could finish work sighn on a couple of weeks then claim
  • oldmotherreilly
    Options
    ADF is now payable from day one of unemployment. However, although guidelines are given, it is up to the individual advisor to decide if ADF should be used in this circumstance and in all honesty, I have never come across an advisor who would pay it for this. Still worth a shot though. Phone your Jobcentre and ask them directly-you never know your luck. They may also have local agreements with transport companies that you may be eligible for. I think the alignment to wages via crisis loan is your best bet though.
    Good luck in your new job!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport