Share advice please

Options
Can anybody advise me?
I have some shares in a company which I would like to cash in. I am holding onto them for a little longer because I believe this company may be the target of a take over bid.
If a takeover bid materializes, the share price will obviously start to go up, is it best to wait until the share price goes up and then sell or are there any advantages in waiting to see if the bid is accepted i.e are there any financial advantages to holding onto a share at takeover?
I'm confused, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There is no simple answer. When the bid is announced the share price will jump up. How much depends not just on the price on offer but on a host of other questions. For example is the offer welcomed by the target company or will they try to resist? Could other companies come in and start a bidding war? Could they increase the offer later? Might the whole deal collapse?

It sounds like you are keen to cash in asap so I suggest you wait just long enough to see if the bid materialises then sell after the initial price jump.
  • Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Sharonc wrote: »
    Can anybody advise me?
    I have some shares in a company which I would like to cash in. I am holding onto them for a little longer because I believe this company may be the target of a take over bid.
    If a takeover bid materializes, the share price will obviously start to go up, is it best to wait until the share price goes up and then sell or are there any advantages in waiting to see if the bid is accepted i.e are there any financial advantages to holding onto a share at takeover?
    I'm confused, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

No as the share price could drop as well as increase.

Regards,

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • Sharonc_3
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.
    They answered the query perfectly.
    Sharon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors