ending an auction early goodmove/bad move??

Options
Hi
I have an item for sale which is not due to end until Sat eve.So far I have one bid on the item and it is a good bid from a well-rated buyer. What I don't want is for her to lose interest between now and Sat. so, as I am satisfied with the price, I have wondered about ending the auction early and selling to her which is permissible.
Do you think this is a good idea?Or could it get me a bad reputation e.g. as someone who doesn't carry through? (of course I would check with the buyer first to make sure she was happy...)
Stop looking for answers....
The most you can hope for are clues.....:)

Comments

• rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    How many watchers do you have?
    Can I help?
  • carrie483
    carrie483 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Options
    Meaning you would complete the sale outside of Ebay? Which is against the rules.
    Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rdwarr - no watchers.
    carrie - no not atall, its within the rules if you have one bid only.and I would complete in ebay.
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    I'd let the auction run its course. You could finish up with a considerably higher amount, and even if it never goes above the current bid, you're not really losing anything by waiting a few days. Since you have no watchers yet, at least there's not too much danger of annoying other potential customers by finishing early if you do choose that option.
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for the advice. I was just worried my bidder would get bored and go away and I would be left with none. But maybe she can't do that?
  • Babbler
    Babbler Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ksh123 wrote:
    thanks for the advice. I was just worried my bidder would get bored and go away and I would be left with none. But maybe she can't do that?

I am not sure if you can withdraw a bit once placed - not withought mutual concent anyhow.

The bidder knew how long the auction was going to last so shouldnt get bored. If they then dont pay its a strike against them.

HTH.
    Being bored is so boring Im bored of it... :rotfl:
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most activity on auctions doesn't happen until the last few hours (or sometimes even the last few minutes!!!).

Leave it run - you can check if your bidder has any history of bid retractions - if she hasn't done it so far, why would she start now?
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • davefishfins
    Options
    If you have a bidder - they won't lose intrest as they have comitted themselves to buy. I find on my auctions that most people will bid within the last hour and you'll find the price shoots up. The best days for this to happen are saturdays and sundays. Remember that the item is worth as much as someone is willing to pay - you may think you have a good price now but it may be worth far more to someone at a later date.

Also if you get wathchers you are almost guareented that the watchers will not bid until nearer the end of the auction.
    Let the auction run it's course - you can only benefit!
  • chivvy
    chivvy Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't matter if she loses interest as she has now placed the bid which is binding so unless she wants bad feedback she will not pull out without your consent.

Also, many watchers/bidders appear over the last 2 days as your item is easier to view when the listing is nearing its end.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just wanted to clear up a point.....Just looked on e-bay and a bidder can withdraw a bid without the sellers consent. E-bay have "exceptional circumstances" in which this can be done. OP. I shouldn't worry about your auction. Let it run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure