E: WSL  Goodmans Freeview £29.99 at Argos

Options

Comments

• springbok
    Options
    As helix has said above,
    Both the GDB3 and GDB4 are electrically the same.
    Both units run on the same software as well.
    The GDB4 has been reduced in physical size by removing the power supply from the unit and taking it external.

It is exactly the same as what Playstation have done with the PS2's. The new one is slim because the power supply is now external and hence they can reduce the size of the box. Apart from that it is the same as the larger PS2.
  • speedyjoe
    Options
    The GDB3 has the added advantage of an RS232 connector on the back which means you can update the firmware manually. See here on how to do it http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jeremy.pick/gdb3/

This meant I could update the firmware to 7 Day EPG as soon as I got it from Argos rather than wait until after Xmas when the next over air update is due :)

SpeedyJoe
    Joe

As through this life you travel,
    you meet some funny men
    Some rob you with a six-gun,
    and some with a fountain pen
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    So if Argos offer me the Thomson box should I refuse and insist on the Goodmans?
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • springbok
    Options
    I don't see how they can refuse really to give you a GDB4, the posters instore clearly show it as the GDB4 which is on sale for £29.99.
  • carrie123
    Options
    Reserved the GDB4G online, when I got to the store was offered the GDB3 or the Thomson DTI500, Chose the GDB3 as it has 2 scarts and all the leads (scart and ariel-flylead), it also has audio out for the hi-fi, which is great cos' the radio channels rock. The RF loop thro allows use to use OLD ;D tv without loss of signal, for when it snows :P.
    In my area chl 5 is pretty poor and straight out of the box 2 clicks and channels were being found.
    I AM IMPRESSED. there is even a signal strength meter.
    Don't worry about firmware updates, the manual states leave the box on standby overnight and @ 03:00 it wakes up and searches for new software.
    Cheap and VERY cheerful.... Carrie.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Move along now...

Offer has finished.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • howardtom4y
    Options
    Thanks for the original post I bought mine yesterday and it is great. Good picture and easy to set up. I already have a panosonic digibox but that has no volume controls unlike the Goodmans.
    Well impressed.
    Its only me from over the seas said Barnacle Bill the sailor
  • Wombat
    Wombat Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This rates as my bargain of the month!

I bought 2 in my local Argos on Friday, one for my girlfriend and one for my daughter. Having seen how well they worked off an ordinary, low grade, non-digital aerial, I returned on Saturday and picked one up for myself.

Easiest piece of electrical equipment I've ever had to set up. Brilliant picture and sound, excellent programme guide with current programme picture in the corner of the screen. All boxes were Goodmans, and I am well impressed.

Also, several Brownie points from the female section of the family just before Xmas don't go amiss!! ;D

I'm voting this post of the month. Thanks very much.
  • doozeruk
    doozeruk Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't want to brag :-X

They didn't have a gdb3 or gdb4 for me so they kindly let me have a gdb5 which includes DAB :o ;D, normally retails at £99.99

I'm so happy, I'm sooo happy, I'm sooooooooo happy :D
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.[/font][/font]
  • GaryS
    GaryS Posts: 807 Forumite
    Options
    I already own a GBD5 with DAB so I was well pleased to get the GDB3 boxes instead of the Thomson ones.
    They look so much better and as mentioned are easy to set up.
    Merry Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport