Comments

• georgesky01
    Options
    i got mine for £19-99 i used my £10 voucher ;D
  • talkshop
    talkshop Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does this mean they are not as good as the Echostar with weak signals ?

I have a Goodmans Freeview box and it is very good with weak signals, and probably the best I have tried. I use it as a 2nd box as I have a Humax PVR as the main box now.

Some people may require an aerial upgrade if they cannot get all or some of the channels. This applies to any freeview box.
  • GaryS
    GaryS Posts: 807 Forumite
    Options
    Went to collect 2 x boxes this morning and Argos tried to sub them with a Thomson DTI500 ( Only 1 scart and no cable included). After a bit of "negotiation" these were replaced with 2 x Goodmans GDB3 (with firmware V3.12).
    The boxes however, clearly state code No: 532/0967, the GDB3 is currently being sold for £49.99.
  • springbok
    Options
    As mentioned above Argos are lumping 3 freeview boxes under one code. So even though it's the GDB4 which is advertised for £29.99 you could get either :

1) Thomson DTi500, only 1 scart output, no extra audio outputs and no scart cable.

2) Goodmans GDB3, 2 scart output sockets, not sure if it comes with a scart cable but probably does. It'slightly bigger than the new GDB4 but apart from that it's the same. Also has a serial connection for manual updates of software but that isn't essential as updates are broadcast anyway.

3) Goodmans GDB4, same electrically as the GDB3 but it is smaller as they have taken the power supply out and intergrated it into the mains socket. It looks a bit nicer.
    Also no serial port for manual updates, see above though.

So it's up to you:D hope the info is useful.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    we bought a goodmans from them last year and it had a faulty remote,we returned and replaced it next day and got another with a faulty remote :( We just got our money back after that and went to richer sounds instead.
    Might have been another model though .
  • BLUMIRE
    BLUMIRE Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    So which one is the best to get then?
  • GeoffAngela
    Options
    Got a unwanted reservation for one of these in Loughborough, expires today. PM me if you want the number.
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Options
    As mentioned above Argos are lumping 3 freeview boxes under one code. So even though it's the GDB4 which is advertised for £29.99 you could get either :

1) Thomson DTi500, only 1 scart output, no extra audio outputs and no scart cable.

2) Goodmans GDB3, 2 scart output sockets, not sure if it comes with a scart cable but probably does. It'slightly bigger than the new GDB4 but apart from that it's the same. Also has a serial connection for manual updates of software but that isn't essential as updates are broadcast anyway.

3) Goodmans GDB4, same electrically as the GDB3 but it is smaller as they have taken the power supply out and intergrated it into the mains socket. It looks a bit nicer.
    Also no serial port for manual updates, see above though.

So it's up to you:D hope the info is useful.

Glad someone else noticed this sneaky little selling scam ;)

I bought one yesterday from ARGOS (Rochdale) and when I got it home was fuming it wasn't the nice little compact one they are advertising.

GOODMANS GDB4G even though it had the right catalogue number of 532/0967. See below for what you expect to get :

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=116104&clickfrom=image

I was given the GOODMANS GDB3 which is an older model but currently listed on their site as Cat.No. 532/0101 - !!!!

So beware, you may get given a different model.... the older GDB3 is still on their site at £49.99 - see below !

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=103913&clickfrom=name

;D

Differences from their site are:
    GDB4G = Model number GDB4G.
    Silver.
    Digitally interactive.
    Digital text.
    RF loop.
    DVB subtitles available.
    DVB subtitles can be manually switched off.
    Auto setup.
    Manual scan for new channels.
    Full access to all Freeview channels.
    Now and next electronic programme guide.
    2 SCART sockets.
    1 SCART lead supplied.
    Full function remote control, requires 2 x AAA (supplied).
    Size (H)4.5, (W)23.5, (D)14cm.
    Weight 1.8kg.

GDB3
    Auto set up/ scans for new channels.
    Digital text.
    SCART lead included.
    Now and next electronic programme guide.
    2 x SCART sockets.
    Digitally interactive.
    Size (H)4.5, (W)30.5, (D)20cm.
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Options
    Oops ! Sorry, just re-read my post and it doesn't exactly make the 2 sound much different does it  :-X

The GDB3 does come with a SCART lead though.

I ain't technically minded enough to know which model is better though.

Will refrain from unpacking mine until someone else explains all the techie details first just in case  :P
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oops ! Sorry, just re-read my post and it doesn't exactly make the 2 sound much different does it :-X

The GDB3 does come with a SCART lead though.

I ain't technically minded enough to know which model is better though.

Will refrain from unpacking mine until someone else explains all the techie details first just in case :P

They are both the same except the GDB4 has an external power supply and it is smaller apart from that they are the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure