Working, disabilty but what benefit ?

Options
I had an accident at work 3 years ago.

Employer admitted full liabilty and the whole thing is currently being dealt with through my lawyer.

I applied and got confirmation from DSS that I had indeed suffered an Industrial accident.

My latest medical (for my lawyer) has stated that I have a permanent disabilty with severe pain in my lower back with restricted movement.

Even although I currently struggle through a full time job, are there any benefits I can claim whilst earning a full time wage ?

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What is your income?
    Do you have children?
    Do you claim DLA?
  • Scottjh
    Scottjh Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    What is your income?
    Do you have children?
    Do you claim DLA?
    £20K , no and no (although my Fiancee who lives with me does)
  • Buddingblonde
    Buddingblonde Posts: 837 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on the household income there could be some working tax credits and child tax credits. There could be a DLA claim there (depending on your health and how your mobility and care is impacted by your illnesses).
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Scottjh wrote: »
    £20K , no and no (although my Fiancee who lives with me does)
    Your df has children or claims dla?

You should put in a claim for dla if you have care or mobility needs. The CAB can help you fill out the forms.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depending on the household income there could be some working tax credits and child tax credits. There could be a DLA claim there (depending on your health and how your mobility and care is impacted by your illnesses).
    The op's income is too high for WTC.
  • Scottjh
    Scottjh Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Your df has children or claims dla?

You should put in a claim for dla if you have care or mobility needs. The CAB can help you fill out the forms.
    Sorry, my Fiancee claims for DLA but has no children.
  • munchings-n-crunchings
    Options
    Hello Scottjh,

From what you have said, you could try claiming for Disability Living Allowance.
    It is awarded for not for the injury / disability, but the care you need because of it.

You may qualify for the mobility component at the lower level, and depending on your care needs it would be worth considering.

You should seek advice from Welfare Rights, contact thru your county council. There is also Dial, who are a discbility advice organisation staffed by disabled persons.
    http://www.dialuk.info
    Or there is the CAB.

Good luck,
    Munchie
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Also if you are working, you can contact Access to Work https://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk and they can come in and see you and make recommendations for reasonable adjustments - these will be part funded by them and part by your employer.

For the other person that asked - no, you dont have to have children to claim DLA, people were trying to ascertain if the OP has any children and therefore claim benefit for them.
  • cabvol
    cabvol Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Industrail Injuries Benefit an option has this been checked applied for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure