We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Any suggestions for MS host/ess presents?

What present(s) do you give your host/ess?

I want to acknowledge their hospitality but would like to keep the cost down and don't wish to appear mean.
«1

Comments

  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,635 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi garden-lover,

    I usually give something homemade if I can, biscuits, cake, a jar of jam, lemon curd, chutney wrapped prettily always goes down well, or a small bottle of sloe gin or raspberry vodka if I have some on the go. Failing that a bottle of wine.

    Pink
  • mrsf123
    mrsf123 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Cakes are always good, chocolate brownies always go down especially well or maybe some hm chocolate truffles?
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    If someone buys us wine, posh biscuits or chocolates and we dont really like them etc...I keep them (unopened) to one side and use those as gifts when we visit others. Remember who gave them to you though:o

    Sainsburys also do nice bunches of flowers for £2.99 and they will take the price off and wrap them if you ask for FREE:D

    You can usually get 3 bottles of good wine for £10...so thats £3.33 a bottle...would that be ok?

    HTH.

    PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    DH goes away every month for a few days and stays with a friend who is a chef. I have fun thinking up unusual gifts for him as he won't let us make a financial contribution. So far we've given him (home made) bullace/plum jam, tomato chutney, sloe gin, pickled garlic, chocolate guinness cake (receipe courtesy of 'Nigella', tis truly yumsome!), mushroom ketchup ... Next month he's getting Seville Orange Brandy. After that I have to think up some new ideas though I have a batch of Blackcurrant schnaps steeping at the moment... People always appreciate things you've put effort and thought into.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 19,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I was discussing this with my parents recently, who said that the whole giving presents for parties is relatively recent. It seems that they and their friends have just decided to stop - they want to see each other, not have presents!

    If you do give something, some homemade jam or eggs from your own chickens (i.e. something that has a use, and isn't available via the shops) is ideal, and very OS!

    Remember, flowers can be a hassle if it means that your host/ess then has to find a vase and arrange them while preparing a meal and welcoming guests. Wine can be a problem if your hosts have gone to the trouble of choosing wine to go with the food and then worry about you expecting them to serve what you've brought. If you take wine expecting it to be drunk with the meal, then you need to bring enough - if you're just taking one bottle make a comment about 'a little something for the two of you when you're having a night in' so that they're clear that you don't expect it to be opened there an then!

    The best thing to do is probably to ask whether there is anything that they would like you to contribute. They might appreciate some nibbles or chocolates to contribute to the meal. But hopefully its your company that they want.

    If you're staying the night, again, home-made/grown goodies are great, but something that lasts so that your hosts don't have to deal with it there and then, when they may already have plans, or not have the time.
  • scrivette
    scrivette Posts: 201 Forumite
    My Mum often gives a bunch of flowers picked from her own garden, which is always appreciated. Home made cakes/biscuits are a thoughtful idea and I would enjoy them if I were the hostess!
  • KraftyKate_2
    KraftyKate_2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I always try and bring a freshly baked loaf. I had some old checked red and white tablecloths which I cut up into large squares and hemmed the edges. They are old but really "shabby chic"! I wrap the hot loaf up loosely in the 'napkin' and take it straight round! It has always gone down a storm and my friends always ask me to bring another hot loaf when I go round again. It also does well for poorly friends, a nice bit of comfort food!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,328 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't often get asked for dinner , I am usually the cook nine times out of ten.!

    I would take Hm fairy cakes or something i knew they liked food based. Even making home made cheese crackers would be good or breadsticks and dip as they never go amiss (or maybe I'm not classy enough but that's my idea of heaven!) If i did get brought agift, i would appreciate it no matter what and be touched someone went to the trouble of buying a gift.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Is it just for dinner or a stay at their home? Some people mean different things by hosts. Overnight stays, or longer I often feel something suitable for them to share. Dinner I prefer to ask what they would like me to bring (making afew suggestions if they say they don't know) but often find things like afterdinner mints, cheeses, marzipan fruits, speciality coffee etc goes down well. A homemade after dinner cake would be yummy. I always try to consider the cost of the evening for the hosts when trying to decide what to buy. I do like the principal of always not buying for each other as greenbee's parents have done but this only works with friends who will truly respect that and not someone within the friends who will buy and make others feel bad.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • grandmasam
    grandmasam Posts: 535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Stoptober Survivor
    I usually take hm bread and hm marmalade or hm jam as this is always appreciated, so many people have never had this, also gives you extra brownie points :D

    I keep a supply of pretty baskets,bought in charity shops,and line one with a bit of fabric,trim the edges of the fabric with pinking shears,no sewing! its all made with love!
    hope this helps a little.
    Saving for another hound :j
    :staradmin from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.