Dubai Shopping Obsession?

Options
What is the obsession with Dubai?

The words "shopping" and "Dubai" have become synonymous and I am wondering why - are the name brands cheaper out there? is it because they have closely knit cluster of name brand shops?

Time Magazine reckons it's because people want to shop in the sun as opposed to dreary New York - I am no stranger to shopping and am wondering if someone could tell me what's everyone's love affair with Dubai about?

Comments

• khizman
    khizman Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    What is the obsession with Dubai?

The words "shopping" and "Dubai" have become synonymous and I am wondering why - are the name brands cheaper out there? is it because they have closely knit cluster of name brand shops?

Time Magazine reckons it's because people want to shop in the sun as opposed to dreary New York - I am no stranger to shopping and am wondering if someone could tell me what's everyone's love affair with Dubai about?
    nothing really, all the brand name places I have been to are more expensive than here, the non branded stuff is cheap, you buy this from the market though.
    The watches I bought were roughly 50% off the uk retail price. (not rolex etc but seiko, citizen etc etc)
  • kmhtkmhtkmht
    Options
    That was what I thought - I suppose the attractiveness is everything is in one place or a small area but if the price isn't right then I am not buying!

I thought someone would say the prices for everything is dirt cheap out there but from what I understand from your messages "brands" are more expensive than UK prices which are pretty bad already - i.e. Prada, when I buy it here it's about 200 GBP whereas the same item in Italy is 60 Euros if you know where to look!
  • tummy_tank
    tummy_tank Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    I agree on pricing, certainly brands are slightly more expensive. The savings are to be made on jewellery and watches. I have bought both, an Omega watch and saved lots and several diamond purchases when valued at home are worth 1/3 more at least and 22 carat gold. You need to hagle haggle haggle .
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hmmm, my husband has just arrived in Dubai on a business trip, I should have made him leave the credit card at home!!
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Options
    Stuff like watches are cheaper there. Some laptops etc can be got for cheaper with better warranties - worldwide as opposed to UK only etc, 3 years rather than 1 etc.

The shopping is far more pleasant there - more spacious shops, less crowded, nicer places to eat/take a break.
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    And the hotels are so nice
    travelover
  • fazz
    fazz Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Visit the Al Karama......excellent shopping!
  • yenners
    yenners Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    the cheapest duty free cosmetics i have ever bought was from dubai airport - i paid about 40% less than uk high street prices - a result!
    Not buying clothes for a year - it's liberating!
  • kmhtkmhtkmht
    Options
    So the conclusion is that the prices are more on all name brand clothing (Prada, Gucci etc.) and that some electronics may be had for less inclusive of better warranties and if you are wanting jewelery - go there. BUT, I don't think their prices on Big Watch Brands like Rolex or Cartier will be great - they'll be okay but they won't be giving the stuff away...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure