Gas versus electricity

Options
I have installed a timer on my emersion heater which enables me to heat it at night rates.(4.5p per kwH) it comes on between 0400 and 0700 and again at 1600 to 1630. I have turned off my gas water heater. I am monitoring the savings (if any) does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    A few years ago, we had to use our immersion heater when gas boiler wasn't working. Can't remember the details but worked out very expensive for us. When we had Econ 7, we only used the immersion at night.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How much are you paying for your gas per unit?

Ebico only charge 3.675p per kWh inc VAT. Compare that to the 4.5p you are paying for electricity - don't even think about how much more it costs for the 30 mins during the day.

Now gas may not be so efficient as electricity (e.g. loss in pipes from boiler to tank, heat expelled through flue, etc) but lets say it's only 80% efficient, that makes it effectively the same price as your cheap rate electricity.

If you end up saving any money, it's because you are not heating the water to the same temperature for the same amount of time, not because of the different fuel used.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure