Switch 2

Options
Hi,

My neighbour has a Switch 2 telephone account which is run by one of the catalogue companies (I think it may be Littlewoods?), she's looking to get online but she's told me that she can't because Switch 2 don't have internet access yet.

I think she may be mislead though and that Switch 2 are just her CSP, so she could still get broadband via her phone line?

I've emailed the company and haven't had a reply in a month, so I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone knows - can she get online with a separate ISP, even though she doens't have a 'BT line'?

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Try phoning them (they appear to offer line rental and CPS so it'll be worthwhile getting hold of her account number so 'she' can actually talk about 'her' account when 'she' phones).

http://www.switch2telecoms.co.uk/

Customer Services: 0800 068 2212

EDIT 16:01

Looking at their website, they do not appear to offer CPS on its own - just line rental and calls packages.

Some of their charges are pretty steep too (e.g. 10p/minute at all times to 0870 numbers).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • aquarian3
    aquarian3 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks Heinz

I've had another look at Switch 2 and phoned them to enquire, my neighbour can have a diff' broadband ISP whilst with them. The reason she's not phoned them or enquired is she doesn't really know much about PC's and the internet so I said I'd look into it for her.

I know what you said about Switch 2 being a bit steep but I'm with Talk Talk and BT Option 1, with the benefits she has on her phone I'd be paying a tenner more each month to get the same/equivalent. So it might seem she's getting quite a good deal, but then I've not looked into any other CSP offers cause I'm not really looking at that!

Plus if she could use that Saynoto0870 she wouldn't have to pay 10p a min. Which she can once she gets online to check the website out eh?!

Anyway, thanks again for your help I'll get back to work on her behalf!

Lisa
    -X-
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    aquarian3 wrote:
    I know what you said about Switch 2 being a bit steep but I'm with Talk Talk and BT Option 1, with the benefits she has on her phone I'd be paying a tenner more each month to get the same/equivalent.
    I'd be very interested to hear what those benefits are if you have the time to post them.

As you have probably seen, I try to offer a series of money-saving suggestions to those with BT landlines in my (approved) '7-steps' link below - so any such benefits are of interest to me.

Thanks.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a Littlewoods customer and I've been offered various offers including a couple of months free or £25 to spend in the catalogue for signing up. Other than the promotional offers like these I am unaware of any other moneysaving reasons to use switch2 over other (cheaper) providers.
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    If you took the free evening and weekend call package .and you wanted caller display and basic voicemail they would charge £17 a month in total.The same service if you used BT/Primus Saver 2 combo would be £11 making them £72 a year dearer.

Also if you exceed your credit limit,they charge you £2 to tell you!

The actual amounts they charge to call 0845/0870 NGN numbers is shown here.
    http://www.switch2telecoms.co.uk/tariff.php
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport