Paypal decided in my favour but .........

Options
....they were unable to recover funds from the seller's account.

I've been watching the seller and see that another of their auctions has ended.

Will PayPal refund me the outstanding amount automatically if this new buyer pays through Paypal?

Should I inform my credit card company of the dispute to be on the safe side?

Out of the blue, the seller has emailed me asking if I would accept a postal order for the amount of the refund. I dont want to do this as I dont trust them one inch!

What should be my next course of action?

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• richto
    richto Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, this is the common misconception people have that using Paypal provides protection...

If you are dealign with a fraud or scammer then you wont get your money back from Paypal, very simple.

Your only hope is a chargeback if you used a credit card.
  • Mandles
    Mandles Posts: 4,121 Forumite
    Options
    I have been waiting months for money fom seller who didnt send goods but took money.I would go to your credit card company as paypal are pants.Maybe tell seller that you are doing this and say as soon as alternative payment comes through that you will stop it.id accept the postal order in the mean time & continue with credit card company until it is cashed. paypal are pants!
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever you do don't cancel the chargeback / paypal claim until you are 100% certain that you have the money in your hands.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Nit
    Nit Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd no idea Paypal were this bad! In my innocence I assumed that they'd just give me the refund once any money hit the seller's account.

rchddap1 - Paypal have put 'Closed' on the dispute - I certainly didnt! Also I have not cancelled it.

Mandles - sorry to hear you are in the same boat! I'll take your advise and say Yes to the postal order, though I doubt it will arrive if the seller couldnt be bothered to send the item in the first place!

richto - Luckily I used my credit card, so I will let them know what is happening.

Thanks all for your helpful replies
  • bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    read up on https://www.paypalwarning.com
    https://www.aboutpaypal.org
    https://www.paypalsucks.com

inform your credit card company and start a creditcard chargeback
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • old_system
    old_system Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Remember the credit card co will probably only do a chargeback if its over x amount, have to check the credit protection act, £50 i think.
  • Nit
    Options
    old_system wrote:
    Remember the credit card co will probably only do a chargeback if its over x amount, have to check the credit protection act, £50 i think.

That's a new one on me! I had no idea there was a minimum amount.
    It goes from bad to worse :mad:
  • mcek
    mcek Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    just before Xmas I was conned, along with several others, by a seller in ireland who had had good feedback, seemed a reputable shop, and had offered some great bargains.
    he had earned the £500 (or 500 euro) PayPal protection 'Star', so I did bid in 'confidence'.
    thankfully, a month later I did get the money back from PayPal. the guy was no longer a registered user, his phone number wasn't in use, so I guess they must have stumped up the money themselves.
    still wary of paypal now though.. they held onto my quidco payment 5 days after 'expected clearing day'. i emailed 'when will it clear', and as if by magic...
  • Nit
    Options
    Glad you got your money back, mcek.

I think if lots of people and money are involved, Paypal call in the police or something as I know of similar situations like yours where the seller has been traced and the buyers subsequently got their money back.

I must say I am right 'off' PayPal though and am looking for an alternative.
  • Alfie_E
    Alfie_E Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    Nit wrote:
    I had no idea there was a minimum amount.
    It goes from bad to worse :mad:
    Don’t worry, there’s no minimum. Old System is conflating two separate customer rights.

The first is Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. This makes the credit provider jointly liable in the event of a problem, provided that the transaction value is between £100 and £30,000. It has nothing to do with chargebacks.

Second are your chargeback rights. These are provided by the credit card network – either Visa or MasterCard. The credit card companies that issue their cards agree to let you, as their customer, have these rights. There are no limits on the value of a transaction that can be charged back. (There are also no restrictions on where the transaction happened. The High Court recently ruled that Section 75 doesn’t generally cover overseas purchases.)
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport