Good yet barganious DAB radio?

Options
Hello, I'm looking to buy my Dad a good quality, decent looking yet barganious DAB radio for Christmas.

I want to buy it in Norwich tomorrow, so it needs to be from a well known store.

I know absolutely nothing about DAB radios, so all help would be much appreciated!
Nice to save.

Comments

• scottishgirl_3
    Options
    I don't know much about them but saw one on special at Sainsburys tonight for £49.99 - the brand was 'Red' and it looked pretty smart - seemed a good price compared to others I've noticed. A friend at work was looking for a 'pure evoke' (a top of the range model I think) and got it at John Lewis for around £99 - you could check their website. :)
  • royt
    royt Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    bought one from dixons online store 9.30 am monday delivered tuesday
    grundig at £44.95
    I HAVE HAD ONE SINCE LAST XMAS
    great radio piad £80 last year
    roy
    stay lucky!
    Steve.
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Sofa_Sogood Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    Boots had some DAB radios in earlier starting from 49.99 going up to 149.99

I've no idea what's a good one from a bad one unfortunately :)
  • horsenailbucket
    Options
    Richer Sounds are selling a Sharp DAB for 69.99 and it's a really good sounding one.
  • Westywoodpecker
    Options
    I bought a DAB radio from the Argos thread a few weeks ago & I love it!. It's a Pure Evoke -1 .
    Some may be still about for £44 if you are really really lucky. The code to try in store is 5002553.

Good luck
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
  • kinster_2
    Options
    so did most of us. The price has gone back up now
    You'll Never Be Rich Working for Someone Else
  • dazzlergav
    Options
    There is the Pure Tempus-1 which I have bought my Dad which seems very good - I got 39 radio stations.

Currys £89.99 free P&P (but out of stock)

or argos for £99.99

Check out here for pricing>>> http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab_digital_radios.htm
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Options
    Can you not get most of the digital stations via digital TV?
  • droopsnout
    droopsnout Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Before buying a DAB radio, you should check to see what (if any) stations can be received in its ultimate location. You can do this via a postcode check on the sites of the BBC and DigitalOne:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/digitalradio/
    http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/search/

Ths should give you a reasonable idea of what the listener can tune in to, but there are no guarantees. The more rural the location, the less likely it is that any stations will be heard.

Finally, you should be aware that it is very likely that the authorities will make further blocks of frequencies available for DAB receivers in the not-too-distant future, and, further into the future, additional frequencies in a different band. Radios purchased thus far will not be able to receive these latter frequencies, as I understand it, though we may talking of 2010 and beyond here.

Ofcom has recently issued a consultation paper on the future of DAB.
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure