Best 5 year fixed rate mortgages

Hi all

sorry for another what's the best deal thread, but i may need to find a mortgage deal fairly sharpish for a house i have offered on - (i did have a aip with one of the lower rates and just missed it)

I'd like a 5 year fixed, 60% LTV is okay, with an overpayment facility and so far I've found the following

post office at 4.45% with a £599 fee
natwest at 4.59% with a £299 fee
Britannia at 4.24% with a £999 fee
Chelsea at 4.34 with a £995 fee
Alliance and Leicester 4.49% with a £495 fee

Has anyone found anything better? I'm planning on speaking to my mortgage advisor (who is whole of market etc) but I was told during my last discussion with him that some lenders won't go through advisors as they are not prepared to give them commission???

any help/thoughts, especially about the rates, would be great thanks :D

Replies

• nw_mannw_man Forumite
    739 Posts
    Hi all

sorry for another what's the best deal thread, but i may need to find a mortgage deal fairly sharpish for a house i have offered on - (i did have a aip with one of the lower rates and just missed it)

I'd like a 5 year fixed, 60% LTV is okay, with an overpayment facility and so far I've found the following

post office at 4.45% with a £599 fee
    natwest at 4.59% with a £299 fee
    Britannia at 4.24% with a £999 fee
    Chelsea at 4.34 with a £995 fee
    Alliance and Leicester 4.49% with a £495 fee

Has anyone found anything better? I'm planning on speaking to my mortgage advisor (who is whole of market etc) but I was told during my last discussion with him that some lenders won't go through advisors as they are not prepared to give them commission???

any help/thoughts, especially about the rates, would be great thanks :D

He is correct. Some lenders only offer products direct to the consumer, however he can source them for you and charge you a fee for finding them I guess.
  • thanks nw - good to confirm this.

anyone have any opinions on the rates please?
  • I think the Britannia one at 4.24% is 40% LTV.

I've also noted down an Ipswich one at 4.25% (£999 arrangement and £350 survey) but not sure if its still available... i've been meaning to check.

Otherwise these are the same as I have at the top of my spreadsheet.
  • happybrokerhappybroker Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    depends on your balance, a higher balance may make the rates with higher fees more attractive
    Happily an ex mortgage broker!
  • dimbo61dimbo61 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    YBS doing 5 year fix at 4.59% or offset at 4.69% if you have savings and want to clear mortgage quickly at no limit on overpayments !!
    Fee £245 i think !
  • Crazyhorse - i think the ipswich one has gone, i can only see a 5 year fixed at 4.79% on their website, it must have been pulled recently as I'm sure I saw it too not very long ago. Nice to get some reassurance on the other rates - I keep worrying that I might have missed something :o

happy broker, yes your right. We are more interested in monthly payments than fee's - although I'm not saying we would overlook them!

Thanks dimbo - i've never really considered offset and will have a look at ybs. I used to have my mortgage with them and never had any trouble apart from mixed call centre messages re redemption fee's but the in-house advisors have always been clear.

I think tomorrow will be a busy day, going through all the fine details :confused:
  • jasonmymailjasonmymail Forumite
    31 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think the Britannia one at 4.24% is 40% LTV.

I can't find anything better than this 5yr deal at the moment. Incidentally it's 60% LTV max.

The Principality have a 4yr fix to 31-03-13 @ 3.99%. Again 60% LTV, fees are £999 and 5% ERC for the full 5yrs.
  • CrazyHorseBCrazyHorseB Forumite
    34 Posts
    Does anyone think 5/10 year rates might go back down in the next 6 months? I can't see BoE interest rates changing for 6 months so there was no obvious reason for banks to recently up there fixed rates... apart from them being cautious about over-exposing themselves at 4%.

Reports over the last week suggest mortgage uptake hasn't increased over the last couple of months so maybe if a couple of banks might take the gamble and start offering 4% fixed deals again then a few more will.

My current deal comes to an end in a couple of months, so while it would be nice to have something sorted now I could risk riding the SVR for a few months if I think there is a chance of getting a decent long-term deal.
  • I'm in the same boat CrazyHorseB.. My fixed deal ends September and I'm looking for medium-long term fixed rate deals.
  • confused31_2confused31_2 Forumite
    1.3K Posts

Reports over the last week suggest mortgage uptake hasn't increased over the last couple of months so maybe if a couple of banks might take the gamble and start offering 4% fixed deals again then a few more will.

a few people are reporting that people are taking up mortgages, i think a lot of it has got to do with the svr rate being so low, people think why bother when they are on such a low rate anyway.

Im surprised a few companys have put their rates up, maybe they know something we dont, like that rates are going to start to go back up.

Heres a article on uptake in mortgages, having said that though, it says they are nowhere near what they was this time last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/mortgages/5152448/Mortgages-go-up-in-positive-sign-for-economy.html
    I am not a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as not being a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals