We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

advice not money saving (sorry)

d900
d900 Posts: 295 Forumite
Hello All,

I hope some green fingered expert could help.

I wish to get a plant (or 2) growing up the rear of my house, I would like something that grows reasonably fast but dosnt dmg the property at the same time. An ivy such as a russian/virgina creeper would be ideal but they hold water and i think that can have a negative effect on the brickwork.

So im looking for suggestions, an ever green would be preferd but it dosnt have to flower. Also not afraid to hack it back when needed.

The other restriction i would like to add is id like to keep it in a pot (a large one if needed) as otherwise i would have to dig up a few patio slabs and while that isnt an issue i dont want to do it :)

Any suggestions? thanks in advance.
The orginal post in this thread has a very very slim chance of being about money saving. The post is more than likely to ask a question that google could answer better than any of us.

Comments

• fluffygrue
    fluffygrue Posts: 123 Forumite
    Ooh.. how much sun will it get? And whereabouts are you (ie, how cold does it get in winter?) You'll increase your options lots if you did lift a paving slab - it's not too difficult, honest.

But if you get a big container and it gets a reasonable amount of sun.. try:
    Golden hop
    Clematis
    Solanum crispum (potato vine, glossy green leaves and purple flowers)

Hope this helps :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport