phone line and line rental

Hi All,

I have a phone in my house, however it is not connected to a provider and there is a dial tone.

I would like to know what the best deal is with regards to connection, line rental and broadband.

I have heard horror stories about Talk Talk. I am currently using Three mobile broadband and they are terrible.

Cheers

Sunil

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 April 2009 at 5:30PM
    If there is a dialtone then you are connected to a Service Provider
    If you have a dialtone try dialing 17070 (or 147017070 if line had CLI
    inhibited) if it gives 'this line is defined as 01**** then use that as a start
    to ring around SP's , see if any of them 'own' the number
    If you have no dialtone, ( and it was just a typo in your first post ) pick
    an SP that offers a line install option...its difficult to recommend an SP for you, depends on
    what you wants, cheap as chips type outfit, or more reialble but possibly more expensive
    At the moment ( if the line has to be installed) BT are offering free connection if you
    sign upto an 18month calls & line rental package, Sky were ( dunno if they still are )
    offering free connection if you were a new customer and took a TV package.
  • aliballi
    aliballi Posts: 91 Forumite
    The Post office is a little cheaper than the full cost of a BT line & you won't be tied to a long contract as you will be with BT. Although I gather that if you have a ring tone it should be free to re connect.
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    aliballi wrote: »
    The Post office is a little cheaper than the full cost of a BT line & you won't be tied to a long contract as you will be with BT. Although I gather that if you have a ring tone it should be free to re connect.

Buyer beware/caveat emptor? ;)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1586761
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    I'm with talktalk.
    I stupidly went with them despite all the warnings when things were going pear-shaped for them about three years ago.

I was most surprised to find that I had no trouble whatsoever with them other than a couple of instances of poor broadband connection lasting 24 hours in each case - I think that's par for the course for most providers. We've never been off-line on the phone.
    I pay them £21.99 per month for line rental, broadband, all 01 and 02 calls all day (not just evenings), and calls to America, Eurozone and many other countries. I think that's a good deal - my average payment to them is about £23 per month depending if I have called a mobile - usually do that from another mobile with "free" minutes.

As with most providers, they all get things wrong from time to time and people only tend to post when they are affected - it gets rid of their frustration and makes them feel better. There seem to be lots of providers who get slagged off - and the more customers that the provider has, then the more people there are to post complaints when things do go wrong.
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Basic BT pack £11 + o2 BB £12 = £23. Not bad.

Do you have a mobile phone contract. most providers give BB discount or even free BB ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure