We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The 'I'm In Debt, Help Me' Thread

13

Comments

  • good news to hear your researching JSA think of it as research for an expose article on the way you get treated by the system.
  • aaarrrggghhh
    aaarrrggghhh Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    I like your thinking MarieB!

    Although I tend to go into all jobs with my journalistic head on - ie. what potentially could I dig up in THIS place?

    Probably why I've had six jobs in three years...

    :)
    10 Ways to Spend All Your Student Loan In A Week
  • aaarrrggghhh
    aaarrrggghhh Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    New development - my Switch card used at Uni (I'm taking time out before returning for the next year) has been passed to creditors!

    I assumed I could leave it in the £1000 overdrawn status, until my next student loan goes in next year! Obviously, I was wrong. Or was I?

    Am now sick of all this, so I'm looking at PayPlan/Loan/Debt Consolidation just to get all these people off my back.
    10 Ways to Spend All Your Student Loan In A Week
  • aaarrrggghhh
    aaarrrggghhh Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Update - I finally confessed all to my parents today. They have agreed to pay off nearly £2250 worth of debts for me, on the proviso that I pay them back each week. This was their suggestion.

    I am now in the process of creating letters to send to each DCA to try and negotiate full and final settlements. If even one of them agree, the money saved will benefit both myself and my parents greatly.

    Going to update my sig soon with all my debts. That'll be fun.
    10 Ways to Spend All Your Student Loan In A Week
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    you have no financial problems that virtually any full time job would not resolve.
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
  • aaarrrggghhh
    aaarrrggghhh Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    CLAPTON wrote:
    you have no financial problems that virtually any full time job would not resolve.

    Er... thanks for that fact there. Great.

    I am aware of this, and don't see how it follows on from the last post.

    Anyhoo, I am trying to get a full-time job, and each day a new application goes in. However, I am still unemployed.

    I'm sorry if I've taken your comment the wrong way, but it's very easy to say what you've said, when you're not in my situation.
    10 Ways to Spend All Your Student Loan In A Week
  • Ceri_2
    Ceri_2 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Er... thanks for that fact there. Great.

    I am aware of this, and don't see how it follows on from the last post.

    Anyhoo, I am trying to get a full-time job, and each day a new application goes in. However, I am still unemployed.

    I'm sorry if I've taken your comment the wrong way, but it's very easy to say what you've said, when you're not in my situation.


    I completly agree Adam. I'm in the situation that I am temping, hopfully for another 6 six months but it is temporary work. But various people on & offline think I am happy with this situation & am not looking for permanent work.
  • aaarrrggghhh
    aaarrrggghhh Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Hi Ceri

    I know! It is mildly annoying that people assume these things - my debt, for one, is MY debt - and yes, I want advice, but I don't want to be told 'that's nothing, get a job, what are you worried about'.

    I realise my debt is nowhere near 99% of MSE posters' in this forum, but it's still debt, and £2000+ is with creditors, which, in my opinion, is pretty serious.

    I'm just very lucky to have very understanding parents with money to pay it off for me. However, I'm not some 'rich-kid snob' who will just thank 'mummy and daddy' for paying this off. I will pay them back in full and treat them to a Kinder Egg or something once it's sorted.

    Rant over now anyway.
    10 Ways to Spend All Your Student Loan In A Week
  • CLAPTON wrote:
    i think it most unlikely that the credit card companies will accept a deduced final payment as full settlement....why should they, you will be working so they will expect full settlement. If you dont pay they will probably pursue you through the usual routes and shoot your credit rating to pieces and may involve baliffs coming to your home.

    and the debt will be ever increasing, with fines etc etc.

    If none of them so accept Full and finals then I would suggest going to payplan.
  • aaarrrggghhh
    aaarrrggghhh Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice.

    If none of them do, it just means I'll have to stick with what they say. One of them is with Wescot as well, which I've been reading up on here. Got to be extra careful with them.
    10 Ways to Spend All Your Student Loan In A Week
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.