hospital phones

Options
jaxx46
jaxx46 Posts: 613 Forumite
Hi, does anyone out there know how much it costs to ring the phones that patients have by their beds? DD2 is 5 mths pregnant, 260 miles away and just been taken into hospital. Obviously i will ring her but am on benefits so therefore a tight budget and need to know how much extra i will have to put away for phone bill.
Sometimes not moving backwards is as much an achievement as moving forwards is on other times. (originally posted by kidcat)

It's only a bargain if you were going to buy it anyway!

Comments

• seadee
    seadee Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    If this is the system she has at her hospital, then info here

http://www.patientline.co.uk/using_ptl_faqs.php

Cheaper for her to call you it seems.

10p a minute to make a call 39p off peak and 49 minute peak to receive them
  • DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    seadee wrote: »
    If this is the system she has at her hospital, then info here

http://www.patientline.co.uk/using_ptl_faqs.php

Cheaper for her to call you it seems.

10p a minute to make a call 39p off peak and 49 minute peak to receive them

And you are listening to options for 1.5 mins before the call is put through to the patient as I found out last week:mad:
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • seadee
    seadee Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    DCodd wrote: »
    And you are listening to options for 1.5 mins before the call is put through to the patient as I found out last week:mad:

Ouch - very naughty.
  • jaxx46
    jaxx46 Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    thanx for the info much appreciated, best get the penny jar out, lol
    Sometimes not moving backwards is as much an achievement as moving forwards is on other times. (originally posted by kidcat)

It's only a bargain if you were going to buy it anyway!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I thought mobiles are now allowed in certain area? Maybe cheaper to use one if your or her have "free" minutes
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I thought mobiles are now allowed in certain area? Maybe cheaper to use one if your or her have "free" minutes

Yes - they are no longer prohibited throughout hospitals and there should be posters around the ward to tell you whether you can use mobiles or not.

If she can use a mobile it will almost certainly be cheaper to call her that way rather than the wretched Patientline system - even if she doesn't already have a mobile and you have to buy her a cheap one!
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • JoKay_2
    JoKay_2 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    I've just come out of hospital and there were no restrictions at all on mobile use, so I wouldn't rush to use the patient phone until she's checked if she can use mobiles.
    HTH
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    JoKay wrote: »
    I've just come out of hospital and there were no restrictions at all on mobile use, so I wouldn't rush to use the patient phone until she's checked if she can use mobiles.
    And, of course, mobiles are small enough to be concealed behind the standard telephone handset used on those expensive over-bed TV/telephone systems.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • aliballi
    aliballi Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    When my father was in hospital for over 3 months, I funded his phonecard as it was 10p a minute for him to phone out opposed to something like 38p a minute to phone him, if I needed to contact him I'd text him on his mobile & he could then phone back.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    When I was in hospital for quite a while several years back, they just ignored us using mobiles, the doctors and nurses etc were using mobiles too.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure