We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car Leasing with bad credit history

Hi all - I currently have a company car and have a job interview tomorrow where if successful, I would get a car allowance.

Does anyone have any experience of leasing a car with bad credit, or would I be better off buying one? The car allowance would be in the region of £400 per month, but I imagine that won't mean much to the lease company when I have got a bad credit rating.

many thanks!
Katy

Comments

  • I would say you are more likely to be accepted on Contract Hire than on a PCP or HP this is because the gap between the amount outstanding and the value of the car will be less at any given time. Therefore it is less of a risk for them.

    However it really is impossible to say there are far too many variable. Could you not arrange a salary sacrifice or something and get your work to pay for it?
  • Katy_123
    Katy_123 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks - I will ask about whether it can be arranged through the company tomorrow, but don't really want to tell them why it's an issue for me - and don't want to come across as a loony at interview :)

    Is contract hire different to leasing via jamjar/Lloyds Autolease?
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I would not bring it up at interview. Wait until you are offered the job. Yuu don't want to add any question marks to your suitability.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.