We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Ouch finally taking head out of the sand!!

24

Comments

  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    climbgirl wrote:
    I think you need to call CCCS or Paylplan for some advice (free advice) - your income is much, much lower than your outgoings at the moment, I've just added up your figures (quickly, I think I'm right!). And if this doesn't change in the very near future, you're going to miss more payments and start heading into charges/defaults territory.

    Total Debt - 16179.28

    Incomings - 1028.06

    Outgoings - 1272.92 (not including debt repayments)
    Debt repayments - 442.91

    Total outgoings - 1715.82

    monthly shortfall - 687.76.

    This is a big shortfall and even though we can cut bits off your bills, I don't think we're going to find £700. You haven't mentioned food or anything like that either...

    Is there anyway the income can increase in the (very) near future?

    Would suggest you call CCCS or Payplan pronto.

    Well if her daughter pays her own CC then she will nearly be half way there and some £270 something richer.
    MFWB
    Mortgage when started: £232,000
    Current mortgage Sept 2024: £232,000
    Mortgage free day: Sept 2029

    Saving: £12k 2025
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    $17mma wrote:
    Yes why are you paying your daughters CC bill? this is setting you back nearly £280 per month. That you cant afford.

    I think the daughter's bill is only £280 in total. But still, she should be paying it!

    Payplan and CCCS are free debt advice organisations - they offer debt advice and help set up payment plans, negotiate with creditors etc. Other companies will charge you for the same service and this fee could go to paying off your debt. Banks prefer to work with them as they have a good reputation.

    You'll find links to their sites at the top of this forum.
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    $17mma wrote:
    Well if her daughter pays her own CC then she will nearly be half way there and some £270 something richer.

    The daughter's bill is only £280 in total as far as I can tell - £6 due this month.
  • delboypass
    delboypass Posts: 229 Forumite
    I take it you dont have a partners income??

    Chances of downsizing house??

    How about wrapping up all outstanding credit into a remorgage?

    Equity withdrawal to pay off loans and consolidate??

    You never said how old you are?

    Is you disability one that might get picked up in the governemnts upcoming push back to work scheme??
  • Ah, thats a bit better!
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    climbgirl wrote:
    The daughter's bill is only £280 in total as far as I can tell - £6 due this month.

    that is still a lot of money that she/they are covering for someone else that they cant afford. Maybe a part time job could help bump it up depending on circumstances.

    But yes I agree advise will be best.
    MFWB
    Mortgage when started: £232,000
    Current mortgage Sept 2024: £232,000
    Mortgage free day: Sept 2029

    Saving: £12k 2025
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    $17mma wrote:
    that is still a lot of money that she/they are covering for someone else that they cant afford. Maybe a part time job could help bump it up depending on circumstances.

    But yes I agree advise will be best.

    Yes, it is a lot to pay for someone else and I do think the daughter should be paying it herself! I also think cutting down on the bills etc is worthwhile doing, of course.

    But the daughters bill is only £6 per month of £442 of debt repayments. And a £700 shortfall per month is a big one. The mortgage is 65% of the present income - and with monthly debt repayments of 42%, you can see where the problem lies. This leaves nothing at all for food, utilities and all the rest of it (car repayments too). That's why the situation is untenable for much longer and cutting back on utilities etc aren't going to change it, even though they will help and are still worth doing!
  • dinkylou
    dinkylou Posts: 727 Forumite
    How about wrapping up all outstanding credit into a remorgage?

    Equity withdrawal to pay off loans and consolidate??

    Please please dont even think about this.

    Consolidation is not the way forward for you.

    Agree with other posters that you should speak to Payplan or CCCS for advise. They will help you.
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    climbgirl wrote:
    Yes, it is a lot to pay for someone else and I do think the daughter should be paying it herself! I also think cutting down on the bills etc is worthwhile doing, of course.

    But the daughters bill is only £6 per month of £442 of debt repayments. And a £700 shortfall per month is a big one. The mortgage is 65% of the present income - and with monthly debt repayments of 42%, you can see where the problem lies. This leaves nothing at all for food, utilities and all the rest of it (car repayments too). That's why the situation is untenable for much longer and cutting back on utilities etc aren't going to change it, even though they will help and are still worth doing!

    Ahh see what you mean.

    surely the daughter will understand the situation and will offer to pay the £6 per month herself.
    MFWB
    Mortgage when started: £232,000
    Current mortgage Sept 2024: £232,000
    Mortgage free day: Sept 2029

    Saving: £12k 2025
  • bettyboop61
    bettyboop61 Posts: 179 Forumite
    Hi there everyone,

    You have all been so much help and support, I have lots to do now, finally got OH into realising situation. OH lost job in November, hence situation we're in now. Have decided we are going to sell house anyway, but need to keep up payments till we can sell. Will contacting cccs or payplan affect are chances of future mortgage?? I agree daughter should pay her own bill, but I took on the payment while she was out of work. She has just started a new job and moved out thank god. I also pay sons mobiles bills and eldest sons car insurance while he has been out of work, but he is bk at work now too. I know, I know, I'm a mug!! This is why I have asked for help because things are now spiralling out of control. oh and forgot to say OH gets Jobseekers allowance of 112 per fortnight.
    I have some major sorting out to do now, but will be checking for posts of tips and advice and will post later tonight....after I have picked up youngest son from work.

    Thankyou all soooooo much.

    Betty
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.